Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Omega to SS/SV6 front bar conversion.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Hi. First post here, so please don't flame me if this is within another thread!!!

Looking to convert the nose of a VE Omega Sportwagon with the addition of an SS/SV6 bar. My wife uses the car 90% of the time - I'm stuck with the old VT wagon - but I'd like to change it from the common 'soccer mum" look!!!

Currently I have:
  • Bar (colour matched)
  • Upper and lower Grilles
  • Fog lights and bezels and half loom
  • Interior light switch (with fogs)
  • Spare relay
  • LED bar DRL's

I've already fitted the grilles, fog lights and LED bars to the bar in preparation for fitment. I'm just waiting on the splash tray (coming) and the answer to a few simple questions before I get my hands dirty!!

Before I strip everything, does the OMEGA Sportwagon come with a plug for the Fog light Loom (part #9217 2577) in the headlight loom? Or do I need to swap the complete head light loom for an SS/SV6/Berlina/Calais one (part #9220 7406)?

I've also got some cheap LED bars (similar to the HSV ones) that I'd like to run as Daytime Running Lights (DRL's).
2x2008 HOLDEN CALAIS V VE 8LED DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS | eBay
What is the best way to wire them into the accessories so that they turn on and off with the car (so I don't need a switch)?
Can I piggy-back them and solder them into something like the cigarette lighter (which never gets used)?
Something in the engine bay fuse compartment would be easiest so I don't need to route the wires!!!

Thanks again...
Wazza

Shm1ck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Thunder Ute
I think there is a plug for the fog lights in the right front, purple casing I think

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Just pulled the bar...
The 'how to' link in another thread was very helpful!!!

Here's what I've found:
  1. There is NO existing relay or fuse in the engine bay fuse box for the fog lights (in this vehicle)
  2. The Omega bar has the moldings to take fog lights already present, you just need to swap out the plastic in-fills in front of them.
  3. I could not find any plug that was missing a connection!!

I called Ballan Holden, and the service department said that the main Omega loom is different to other variations, in that it has no provisions for fog lights. I called Kevin Dennis Holden, and the spares guy checked the part numbers, and the Omega loom is the same as the other variations. He also said that I should be able to hook up the lights.

I already have the ####2577 loom fitted to the lights (came with them second-hand). The ####7406 I would assume is the FULL headlight loom. My friend (who works in a panel shop) did some digging and seems to think there is a bridging loom that would go from the end of ####2577 into the fuse box.

So it looks like I'll wait for this bridging loom and splash tray to come in and see how I go...

Also, how do you remove the light switch in the dash?

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Update...

The 'bridging' loom that my friend thought existed was the same as the fog loom I already have... bugger!!

I striiped it all again today. There is definitely NO plug for the fog loom. It looks like the early Omega Sportwagons ('08) are the same as the early sedans (06+) - I would have thought they'd get the updated loom which includes the fogs as they're further into the production time-line (but I'm wrong). There was also no provision in the looms at the fuse box as there are no connections under where the relay would go, so even if you replaced the entire front loom with one from an SV6 so it had the plug, I'd then need to replace the main loom as well.

When I put the bar on, it didn't meet up nicely with the splay stray (which sat perfectly together when off the car). In the end after trying to fit it several times, I screwed the tray and bar together off the car, then put the whole assembly on together. I had to get the missus to push the bar back and across so the bolt holes on the tray would sort of line up too. It did all go together (with plenty of sweat and swearing), though not as easily as the Omega set up that came off. I hope it's a matter of time for it all to stretch into place - it was pretty cold today when I was in the shed.

With the fog wiring, I cut the OEM plug off, added 6 foot of wire and ran it into the engine bay (so I didn't need to disassemble it all again). Likewise, I added 6 foot to the DRL's...Now it's a trip to the auto-elec. The fogs run a 15A fuse and the low beam is 10A, so I'm not sure if they can just be joined together. The DRL's can just be wired to the ignition with an inline fuse, and earthed somewhere. I still have the OEM switch but I'm not sure if that will be of any use now.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Good work making this upgrade mate, SV6/SS kit looks 10x better than the omega kit, good luck getting it all sorted :thumbsup:

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
hey there wazza675 im going through the same conversion at the moment found out the hard way and things but have gone to far to turn around now, just got to wait for lower air duct and then its off to get it all fitted up then down to auto elec to get lights wired up

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Necromancy +1

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
From the wiring perspective I'm not surprised the connectors are not there for the fog lights. Omega is the base car, manufacturers love to save even a few cents per car, unless they sell an accessory kit for fog lights why would they provide wiring for things that aren't part of the base spec. It only comes down to saving a few bucks. With regards to wiring and connecting the DRL's to ignition and earth, I thought it's a requirement that DRL's need to off when the headlights are on (they can be on with parking lights, but not headlights)?