Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel tank size and other questions...

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn berlina & HQ Statesman
Hi everyone:wave:
A couple of questions regarding my VN Berlina (stop laughing...)
1: What size is the fuel tank? My fuel gauge is a standard VN one, i.e. it doesnt work. When i run out of fuel and can get it to the petrol station, i can ONLY put about 40 litres in it before it spews out all over me and everything else. I have done the whole waiting and trying to put more in but the fuel is level with the cap! Once i decided to trickle the fuel in (took AGES) but it still got full at about 40 litres... whats going on???? When the odometer WAS working (another standard VN part) i found i could drive about 250-280km on a tank in the city.
2: The engine warning light... very pretty! Why does it come on for about 30 seconds without blinking and then go off, any time it wants to? It happens about once every fortnight. sometimes it will come on 2 or 3 times within an hour and then i wont see it for 2 weeks. It NEVER flashes. When the car runs like cr#p the light stays off. It ONLY comes on when the car is running smoothly.
3: (Last question) How can i get my temperature gauge to work?

I LOVE this forum!

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
answer to question 1, 65 litres
answer to question 2, comes on breifly if you have a intermitent fault, wont log a fault code (well it will depending on the code) dont worry, just panic when it comes on perminatly and never goes out.
answer to question 3, bash the living snot out of the dash (mabey not hard, a quick sharp tap on the dash above the temp guage will generaly get them working) they stick, go the old holden design flaw

cheers
garth

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx

Thanx for the info.
1. My tank must have 15-20 litres of mud/rust/crap in the bottom...
2. Cool about the light... i reckon if it ever stays on permanently i will just take the globe out... problem solved! lol
3. I have bashed, beaten, kicked, hit, slapped, tapped, bumped, nudged, begged, pleaded, swore at, spat at, ignored, dismantled inspected and cleaned, tested and... given up trying to get the fuel gauge or the temperature gauge to work. But you can always spot the other drivers bashing their dashs in traffic... persistent.... lol
Thanx again. :)

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
Found it too

Thanx MarzVP, :clapping:
I had a look and it seems simple enough. Ive had the gauges apart before but it never occurred to me to check dry joints... Seems i only do that when im working on the computer. :computer:
Cheers!

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
UNstuck needle

WOOHOO!!!!
Thanx marzVP for the tip. It WORKS! and ive discovered nearly 3/4 full tank!!

scrapvn

Just call me 'hey you!'
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tanx

Yup it is supposed to be 63 litres according to the bible. That still doesn't sort out my tank and only being able to fit 40 or so litres in it.
I'm just gonna have to run it dry (couldnt care less if it causes problems) and rip the sucker out and inspect it to death!

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
If you're only getting 280km out of a tank around town, try replacing your oxygen sensor. Should give you much better economy