Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Service?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hey,
my vr v6 auto is playing up (i think its the trnasmission) well all it does, is it takes ages to shift out of a gear in Drive. like it revs to like 3 grand be4 itll shift, this is normal driving too, not foot down, but ne way it does the same sorta thing wen i use 1,2,3 it takes a few seconds to actually change into gear. will a servce on the gearbox fix this?

VROCIOUS

Searching for more HP
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
04 HSV VY update Avalanche
A service on a gearbox will involve taking the bottom of the pan off and replacing the filter with a new one and new fluid. If your tranny fluid is all crap and glog with some **** in it then yes it probably will however with the cover open the mechanic will then be able to tell if anything serious is wrong by giving a diagnostic and looking for usual signs of wear metal shaving in fluid etc etc, so one way or another your going to need it just depends if you need anything else

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well lol. i had my stereo off for the first time today :p and i was using the gears, and i noticed that it was missing and had some compression, ie i was doing 80km/h in 3rd and it was missing, and soon as i took foot off accelerator it slowed down pretty quick. but if i was in drive doing this it was fine no missing and speed stayed the same. is this a transmission service job or something else???

R

rimz81

taking the pan off only drains 2-3 litres, best if you find a garage that has a proper machine flush that changes all the fluid,the torque converter holds most of the fluid, i had one done about a year ago and it made a huge diffrence. :D

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can do it yourself with the aid of a workshop manual or do a search of this site for instructions. That way it will cost about $30 for a filter plus $25 for 5 litres of Dexron3 (sp?). The Transmission people in Townsville wanted $220 for this job so I figured I'd save $165 and do it myself. For the $220 they drop the oil and replace the oil plus a new filter....thats all. No adjustments.

P

phracta

gotto the the castrol website and get a recommendation on fluids and ltrs then buy it yourself and go to a mech and they'll prolly only charge you under $100 for a trans service.

Siumply sounds like dirty oil to me. The mech will also tune you trans.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea just talked to a mate who got a skyeline, he took it in to a shop here were i live and charge 130 bux for a services and replaced some "Bands"

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The correct grade and type of oil is on the dipstick and 5 litres is ample as a pan drop will use just under 4 litres (measure what you drop and replace exactly that amount). I'm not sure but I think on the 4L60E transmission there are no adjustments which can be made by the mechanic without disassembly...and bet your bottom dollar that will cost. It is a dirty job but not rocket science. That $100+ you save buys 4 cartons of cold XXXX.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hm ok, well wot are these bands my mate was talking about?

and also im not sure about this one, but wen im in "D" goin about 80km/h the car seems fairly quiet, but wen i change to "3" and take my foot of, there is a rumble to the exhaust, and theres none in Drive