Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conversion from Auto to manual

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Hey all.

I have done a bit of searching but cant seem to find all the info I need.
My Vs V8 auto box is shot and the only way im gonna replace it with another auto is to sell it.
I want a manual box but was unsure as to which box was needed and what extra parts were needed.
I know there is a T5 box and a getrag box and as far as I know the S1 got the T5 and the S2 got the getrag box. My car is the S1
I also have heard the V6's use the T5 but Im not sure if its the same box or not ?

So far i know i will need
- Gear box (either T5 or getrag which one is best ?)
- pedal box
- Clutch cable
- Manual boot and surround.

Im sure there are other things needed, what am I missing and which box do I need ?
Does anyone know where I could get the parts, i have seen a few on ebay but not sure which one I need, Im in sydney if any one knows who sells conversions at a decent price and I most likley can install it myself.

Cheers guys

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
When I did my VT also needed flywheel, computer, wiring loom and other bits.

Easiest thing is to find a wrecker selling a complete kit.

Feralprick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 WAGON
yea exactly right best bet buy a wreck and doin the transplant that way....its alot cheaper and then you know you have everything you need

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
andrew.

only the 6's used the getrag box.

the v8's all ran t5's

you cant run a v6 box on your v8. best place to look would be forums. ebay and trading post.

and also being a vs you will probably need some sort of computer modifications or something

not too sure on that though.. someone else will have to help with that.

have you had a read here

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/complete-vn-vr-manual-conversion-guide.76186

Ah right I was confused bout the T5 and Getrag thing cause people advertise things in Ebay as T5 for V6 and V8 and Getrag for V6 and V8 so I was not sure what was what.
I forgot bout the computer but yeh there is a manual comp that would be needed for it too.
I saw a conversion ages ago on ebay but wasnt sure it was the right one and come to think of it, the advert was a Getrag V8 manual box so I have not idea.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
The VT S1 V8 had a getrag. So they are out there for the old 5.0ltrs. But you will get out of it way cheaper with the T5. BorgWarner T5's are used everywhere even on fords. They all look the same sort of shape. They just have different bell housings on the front and different extension housings on the back. The internal ratios and stregnth will differ between boxs.
So you will see T5 everywhere is my point. If you get a getrag box you will need a hydraulic pedal box setup. So go the T5 and you only need the cable pedal box. Saves alot of hassels.

Other things you may need is a flywheel, gear box mounts, pedal box. Thats all i can think of right now.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
computer unless you like seeing your engine light on, manual tail shaft, fly wheel , clutch, gearbox with mounts,shifter surround and boot, etc.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
He will be able to use his old ecu, just get the memcal fixed up and it will all be good

VsCalaisII5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S2 5.0
I'm looking at doing the same conversion with my VS. Can get a VN SS as a donor car, could i swap the memcal needed from the VN ecu to mine? or even the whole computer?

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
He will be able to use his old ecu, just get the memcal fixed up and it will all be good

Ha, that's what I thought when I tried that. I got mullburry man to program an auto memcal with all auto codes turned off, but the problem is the actual auto ecu can't read the type of signal from manual VSS. You won't get lean cruise as well and the revs can jump around. I heard about some resistor or something that can fix this...very interesting. I think fitzy2005 used a police ecu somehow and had no problems I must say though. I used a manual computer (ECM) and wiring harness from a manual VR executive and is all good now.