Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Superchargers...

Y

YoungOne

hey guys, just wondering what your opinions are on this. i have a 98 VT Exec with almost 250 000k on the clock. my plan is to see if she will make 300k then re-co the engine, after that is done, supercharge it, similar to what PowerUp did - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=8921 with the overdriven S14 supercharger CRS kit for around $2500.

-OR-

Get a new factory supercharged 3.8 and get that put in, because i hear they go for around $3500, the reason for this is, the s14 charger kit would be around $2500, on top of that there is the cost of rebuilding the engine, which i am unsure of the price for.

Now, what i was thinking, would the factory s/c engine, running 6-7psi, put out as much at the wheels as the s14 s/c running a constant 8-9 psi? Or would it need to be modified? If it does how much power could i pump out of the factory s/c? i dont want to go to the extent of toughening up my gearbox and diff, but if i have to i have to. Also, getting the new engine, would i have to upgrade to ecu and all the other gear?

Just one last little thing, it probably sounds really dumb, but your see and hear about twin turbo engines, has anyone ever seen or thought about a twin s/c set up?? just curious...

sorry if all this doesnt make sense, im really tired...
Thanks for your thoughts.

B

blofly

if you were to run at around 9 psi on the CRS kit you could have some issues with heat and I am not sure how the CRS kit copes at that pressure. I would say rebuild your ecotec, have your heads ported out a tad and fitted with some nice valve goodies like quality spring retainers and either F.I.T. 1.9:1 high ratio roller rockers or a custom ground cam if you choose that way, then if you intend on having over about 310 rear wheel horsepower it may be worth sourcing an aftermarket intake manifold with around 70mm throttle body but only if you were to fit a turbo or two coupled to the F.I.T. turbo exhaust manifold/s, if you were to choose a supercharger setup I would recomend the holden supercharged V6 Eaton M90 roots type blower with the F.I.T. air to air intercooler adapter plate and intercooler with all accessories available in a kit, the standard 6 psi of this particular unit can be upped to 10psi with the F.I.T. 10psi pulley kit with out an intercooler, but with intercooling you can push the pressure up to 16psi which is then cooled down and run all through the plumbing to the intake at which point the pressure has dropped from 16psi to 10psi so it is still safe to run higher boost on the engine but only if it is intercooled, so in short I would say rebuild bottom end with quality bearings, conrods and forged slugs, port the heads and fit some bronze retainers, stainless valves and crow springs (single springs would be ok for 5500RPM) then fit intercooler set up with Eaton M90 supercharger fitted with 16psi pulley, either a custom cam or stock cam with 1.9:1 high ratio roller rockers, some pacemaker headers and twin 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch free flowing exhaust system, cold air induction, 81 degree thermostat, and then have the whole set up tuned with kalmaker tuning, by that point you should be seeing figures of around 300 rear wheel horsepower, check out the featured cars on www.v6supercharged.com