Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mobil 1 / ecotech

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
Is it possible to run Mobil 1 5w-50 in my ecotech, which has only ever run on GF2 10w-30? I have 150tho on the clock. Would changing to Mobil 1 cause oil burn?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Why would you use something so thin? It will also most likely be a complete and utter waste of money..

Pearls to a swine? Anyone?

Use the recommended oil for the Ecotec.. Go for a 15w-40 oil, if you really want to use a good oil, there's a more appropriate Mobil oil..

The only advantage will be that your oil will need to be changed every 20,000km..

But my personal recommendation, put Penrite HPR15 in your car and change it every 10,000km.. Flame grilled, I'm thrilled..

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
yeh my car runs a dream on penrite

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
As does mine..

Just to clarify further.. I could put that $120 for a gallon (4.something litres) engine oil in my car..

I could also put it in a $200 Datsun.. Won't do anything..

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
I think seriously 10W isn't going to differ much from 5W. So If you are already using 10W I don't think 5W going to hurt.
Is your car using oil at the moment?
But as said, I would feel more comfortable at least 15W-??.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
i have seen it recomended to use 15 - 50 oil once the klms hit the 150,000 klm mark....

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
years ago i had a HQ with 173 motor that was a bit fumey.... i fitted an oil preasure gauge for experentation... i then used normal Mobil oil but after 500 klms i noticed the oil preasure dropping.... so i thought i'd try Mobil Supadrop.. right up untill 10,000 klm oil change the Mobil Supadrop did NOT... did NOT loose any oil preasure at all.... my VX isnt due for it's oil change since i bought it yet.... i'm sure i'll be checking if i can use Mobil Supadrop...

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
I think seriously 10W isn't going to differ much from 5W. So If you are already using 10W I don't think 5W going to hurt.
Is your car using oil at the moment?
But as said, I would feel more comfortable at least 15W-??.

No - it's not using oil - yeah your probably right. I have couple of mates that recommended using Mobil 1 - wasn't sure if anyone is using the 5w-50 and how it runs.

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
Shounak said:
Why would you use something so thin? It will also most likely be a complete and utter waste of money..

Pearls to a swine? Anyone?

Use the recommended oil for the Ecotec.. Go for a 15w-40 oil, if you really want to use a good oil, there's a more appropriate Mobil oil..

The only advantage will be that your oil will need to be changed every 20,000km..

But my personal recommendation, put Penrite HPR15 in your car and change it every 10,000km.. Flame grilled, I'm thrilled..

cheers - yeah your right it probably will be to thin - just wanted to see if anyone runs Mobil 1 in there ecotec and if they have had any problems.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
The real question is, has anyone driven an ecotec long enough to find out that the oil they have been using has shafted the engine?
Only way to find out, is to run your engine on the oil for a service period, then send a sample of your oil away to an oil anaylsis lab to assess your oil to see if there any large amounts of copper, tin ,etc.
Then change over to the oil you want to use, after the service period, send your oil sample away again. Then compare the results and see which oil contains the most contaminants.