Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

transmission slipping??

beckrey

Banned
Reaction score
hi all. we have had our vt acclaim for 3 years.it has now done 204000 kms.over the last day or so. we have noticed what feels like the transmission slipping on takeoff only.just wondering if anyone else had the same thing and if a service would fix it or could it be something in the driveline like the traction control playing up or the diff? the traction control light has a habit of staying on sometimes has done for about 2 years.

9C1pack

Reaction score
Have you checked the Transmission fluid?, low fluid can cause auto's do funny things, like slip.

TheLucksta

Reaction score
I'm suffering something very similar at the moment.
However, it could also possibly be caused from bad plugs and leads which will cause the engine to miss a bit when under load. (i have to drive around like a granny untill i can get hold of some. :( )

beckrey

Banned
Reaction score
fluid level is fine. plugs were replaced 4000ks agoso they should be ok havent checked the leads. :confused:

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
tranny problems

SO it happens from takeoff to say 40 km ?

might be wise to check the 1-2 solenoid as ive done 3 solenoids in my vs 1-2 / 2-3 ands 3-2 solenoid .....

but they didnt all go at once ;) but i had a simalr problem

might be something to check out :) ;)

beckrey

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the tips.When your solenoid went did you have to rebuild the whole transmission or can you just replace the solenoid.if so how much did it cost roughly.we had one go in the vp we used to have and i was told i had to replace the whole thing.it was the third gear one but it didnt slip it just wouldnt go into 3rd gear. the one in the vt feels more like it is just slipping.but i dont know and i really dont feel like buying another auto if i dont have to.come to think of it they both happened around the same mileage.any tips on how to check/replace solenoid.

Bek31

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
sounds like what my VS is doing. i have been told by my mechanic its a flaring solonoid which happens 1-2 its as if its slipping.... i will get it done at my next service but it would be useful to know how much it costs to repair? my guess is ur car could be the same.... cept mines only done 158000 kms....

TheLucksta

Reaction score
No worries mate!!! ;)
Glad to know that your problem is solved.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Hey.. This might sound whack - but when I first got the VK the transmission first seemed to slip when you put the foot down a little on take off (not much, but just a little) it slipped then slammed into gear.. then it seemed to do it on ordinary take off.. Had the Auto serviced and it's good as new.

Might pay to have it serviced maybe?

P

Precisa

I had the same problem with my VT when taking off or going up a steep hill.
I took it to a Mechanic, and being an Auto, he put his left foot hard on the brake and reved the engine with his left.
The back end slumped down and didn't "pop up" when it was reving, so he said that it was defenatly not the transmission.
And it was most likely something to do with misfireing under load.
whioch it was, one of the leads had a cracked core and had too much resistance to give a good spark when needed.

i could have replaced just the single lead, but did all of them any way.
and after they were replaced and the engine tuned, it had an obvious power increase.

so get it serviced/tuned and ask them to check the leads