Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20 inch on VT/VX ??

Bungle

Bungle
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2, VZ Exec
Still tossing up wether to buy a VT or VX..
I have been told you cannot put 20 inch wheels on a VT without having the "guards rolled" but can fit them on a VX with less trouble.. Is this true and if so,
what is involved in getting guards rolled??

Thanks...

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
im gettin some 20s put on my vt tuesday and gettin the gaurds rolled....even on a vx ur still gonna need to get ur gaurds rolled, pretty much any commodore u will need to get it done.

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
but hey boys arent 20" rims on commodores un road worthy? wont the cops be like ... "hey boy, them rims are mighty big, heres a big yellow sticker seeing that u like to stand out" lol? or are u gona simply risk it?

nabed4t

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore V6
Hey there, to my knowledge its VN, VP, VS and VT that posses they spectacular list of faults including the rubbing on tyres bigger than the stock 16/17". I've got 18" on my VT and am going to get the guards rolled to stop tyer damage. As far as I know the VX model fixed that problem with rims up to 19", 21" should be okay but you'll pay through the nose and every orfeus you have on insurance as they are an illegal mod...where I live anyway. Hope that helps.
Dan

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
if i was you go for the very first VT.... Series 1 ... i'm sure the first VT's had a solid rear suspension .... do a search IRS and see what probs us with Independant Rear Suspension have got .... i'll just maybe get 10,000 klms out my tyres at the moment .... just waiting for time to fit the adjustable bush kits .... even then i maybe will still have IRS tyre wear probs ...

VT97CALAIS

VT-Best Holden shape!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 S1 VT Calais /A4
Nah the first VT's were all IRS , hence you see lowered ones around that have been lowered without a camber correction kit, massive rear camber.
VR had live rear axle, from then on it was IRS.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Someone mentioned it earlier, if you put 20's on a VT exec, berlina, SS, Calais, statesman your insurance will be null and void, your car will be unroadworthy UNLESS you have it engineered.

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
whats involved in getting them engineered?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Generally around $500 for an engineer to inspect, make out he is checking stuff and pocket your cash and give you all the forms. You'll receive an engineers certificate and new tyre placard as well as new eye height details etc...

Sometimes 20" rims may need modification such as larger brakes, adjustable rear panhard rod, camber adjustment kit, rolled guards or something along those lines in which case it will cost more.

Generally you must go to an engineer on an approved list made by your state road authority (Transport SA, RTA, whichever) and in SA atleast, your car is required to go through a Vehicle Inspection Centre to be checked for clearance etc. following the inspection by the engineer.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
if you are worryed about the cops,why consider 20" mags,sounds a bit silly to me, Rolling the guards is only one part of the job,suspension upgrades and more cost for tyres,scrubbing out, and so forth.

You can put 20" mags onto a vt with some work but 18" are easier and look just as good with less Dramas.