Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another exhaust thread

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
hey guys, i just got a 2000 VT wags :yeah:, and first up i want a new extractors/ exhaust.

now i know that there is heaps of threads on this, but i just want a few questions answered because there is heaps of different ideas being thrown around this site to do with gettin an exhaust...

i was thinking paceys and a 2 1/2 inch cat back with lukey muffler....

now:

1: Firstly, is my idea going to be good value for a power upgrade? I dont want my car to be nuts, but i want it to have a bit of go, and a nice tone.
2: obviously it will improve power, but will it improve fuel economy?
3: is Pacemaker the best way to go for extractors? (i.e other brands?)
4: and if i do get this system, will i then need to also get a CAI to get the good economy etc etc . i know its a good idea, but im a bit stretched for $$ atm.

If these could be answered, it would help me out greatly !:)

cheers guys :w00t::w00t:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will not gain much at all by changing the exhaust, maybe 15 rwkw. The car already has a CAI, just change the filter. Pacemaker will improve your top end but do nothing for acceleration down low. Your highway economy will improve, but you will find you may use more fuel around town.
Depending on where you are, I can do Paceys and a 2 1/2" cat back for around $800. If you go a cheaper header then it would be around $600. Plus shipping.

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
im in sorrento, perth. If pacemakers give you good top end then, will another brand give you good acceleration?? i do alot of town drivin, since i do live in the city..

what do you reckon then?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Pacemakers are tuned length so they are designed for top end. Just about any brand that are interference will be good. They all have the same warranty. I have supplied a lot of Wildcats, they are inexpensive at $340 and are easy to fit. HM's are good, but nearly as dear as Paceys at $500. Since you are in Perth, no freight would apply, the Wilcats and a 2 1/2" Manta system would be $600. Very easy to fit.

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
what does a 2 1/2 inch manta system consist of?? would you recommend?

Are extractors just like alot of things today (i.e clothes) when you can be paying big bucks for a label (pacemakers), when theres a cheaper thing of the same quality?

i would rather have a system that could give me better fuel economy and a faster acceleration too - if there is such a thing :p :p haha

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The system bolts up to the cat, has a front muffler, straight through, and a tail pipe with no resonator. If your's is an auto, I would recommend a different configuration. Straight through front pipe with no muffler and a straight through muffler on the rear. This will not drone like the other way and gives more of a mellow note. The front muffler/tailpipe combo has a crisper note but tends to drone at around 50-70kmh on an auto.

The brand of extractors can influence the price, some are horribly expensive just because they have a name on them. (Difillipo). Pacemakers are finished really well though and are worth it IMO. But in your case, they won't do what you want.

Anything you do to the exhaust will move the torque curve further up in the rev range so your initial acceleration will feel slightly worse. This is because it has improved further up so the bottom end feels slower, even though it isn't, it's just a perception thing.

VT_Boi

VT Holden By Design
Reaction score
Website
www.sunshinecoastcommodores.net
Members Ride
VT Holden By Design
I am running a Lukey front muffler and no rear (sedan though). I find it has a great note and no drone.

No extractors on mine and my mate has the same combo but with Pacies. There is no difference in acceleration between our cars.

Save the $$$$ from the headers and put some high lift rockers on.

Just my 2 cents

speedracer006

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wags
well thats what im talkin about, is it going to be worth me getin an exhaust or is it going to be worth spending the money on another part of my car?

cheers

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
well thats what im talkin about, is it going to be worth me getin an exhaust or is it going to be worth spending the money on another part of my car?

cheers

Hey Mate

Well its up 2 you really, if you get rockers your really gona wonna get extractors anyway to get the full potential out of them, and it also depends on how long your planning on keeping you car, if its a year or so, i probably wouldnt bother, though if its a good few years, then go for it, though yeah its up to you...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Agree. Rockers will give you the most benefit with extractors and exhaust. You can do the exhaust side of it without the rockers, but if you do rockers, you really should do the exhaust too. No point in getting more air in if you can't get rid of it.