Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that go 'clunk'

WestieZBRSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB V6 AWD RS-V Commodore
Hey guys,

Ive had my VXII for about 3 weeks now, and no major problems but there are some noises that I am concearned about - mostly a thud from somewhere in the drivetrain, which occurs after driving off after just starting or slowing down.

Its only started to happen recently so im not sure under which actual situations it occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Westie.

P

PeZzA

westieVXS02 said:
Hey guys,

Ive had my VXII for about 3 weeks now, and no major problems but there are some noises that I am concearned about - mostly a thud from somewhere in the drivetrain, which occurs after driving off after just starting or slowing down.

Its only started to happen recently so im not sure under which actual situations it occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Westie.

Hi, i have the same car VX S Series2 for 3 weeks myself and i've noticed some kinda clunk that sounds like it comes from the back end when you slow right down and then try take off quickly. Perhaps this is just normal.

i looked around and found this -> http://www.pipeline.com.au/staff/mbowe/Cars/VX-SS-Sedan/default.htm
"Clunking noise from diff during slowing to a halt. This problem became evident at around 8000Km. Exact same problem as experienced on my VT SS. As you slow to stop at lights or intersection, you get a loud clunk from the diff. I mentioned this to a guy who works in a Holden workshop and he knew all about it. Apparently the problem is known as 'rollback clunk' or similar. It is a fault of the BTR diff and affects many commodores and falcons. The fix is to flush the diff's oil and reload it with a different type. If that doesn't help, the diff needs to be replaced. I asked for the dealer to investigate problem at 10K service and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, and that the clunking noises were normal (Grrr!). At 20K service I chased it again, and this time they said "Oh, your car hasn't got the latest software flash.." Apparently there is a newer flash available for the Auto trans that smooths operation. They did the flash and I found the auto was now smoother and the problem occurred less often. However it still happens and it does annoy me a fair bit."

and this in another thread on this forum-->
"The things I have found to look for with the VT II, VX and VX II range are how well the auto shifts (Up and Down), clunking comming from the diff when auto shift down to a stop or slow speed. Driveline vibration on accelleration and decelleration. If the car is fitted with a towbar check the rear wheels for excessive inside tyre wear, I think alot of those issues were addressed in the VX II model and have improved rear end tyre wear.

Most of if not all the above issues can be rectified and with a VX mybe still covered under new car warrenty. The auto shift should be ok but the revised shift data for the PCM can help, holden service will tell you what program code your using and weather there is an updated one, rear end diff clunk was most common in the LSD diffs and a diff chatter kit was used to rectify some of the issues the chatter kit comprises of special new diff seals and a different grade of diff oil, the diff has some backlash as holden call it to prevent CV joints from breaking.
Some of the driveline vibrations have been caused by Centre Bearing failing, alot of Holden dealers wont pick this up as a cause because they only conduct a site inspection, its not until you remove it that you can tell. The kit for the Centre Bearing is about $35 + fitting and can make a difference. The part that houses the bearing is made of rubber, which breaks down over time depending on your location.
And the inside tyre wear can be rectified by a camber/caster kit. Most of the new model commodores has the IRS upgraded to rectify the issue."

Seems to be a common problem in the vx... l8r