Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knock in VT SS Transmission

J

JG99

G'day.
I've got a VT SS 5.0 Auto (82000k's) with a knocking sound eminating from the transmission.
Put her in park and noise goes. Back to drive and noise returns. Can't really hear it during normal driving, just at idle in the garage etc.

I've just had the water pump changed and a major service. Any suggestions/causes/answers?

The missus is going to freak 'cause I've got a suspicion this is going to cost me a packet.
Thanks for your help.

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
i know not on the topic but just wondering what sorta fuel consuption you get outa your car ? I've got the same and do mostly city type driving but even so it seems down even for that.

If anyone else with a vtss 5l could give me some other figured it would be greatly appreciated.

I know i know "do a search" and I did but didnt find much on the 5l vt

cheers

Redfox

Reaction score
Yeah i've got a small ticking noise in my tranny. At first I thought it was lifters, but after some careful listening, it's definitely coming from my tranny. My guess is the torque convertor somewhere, but I don't wanna pay the money to drop the tranny and find out. It seems to be driving ok as it is, and hopefully it doesn't get any worse. Plus it's only noticeable at idle.

J

JG99

I get about 320-350k's around the city using premium fuel about every 3 or tank full's, Zandahar.

Redfox, I haven't considered the torque converter but like you, I don't want to spent the dollars to get the tranny dropped. Pisses me off 'cause I don't know what's making the noise.

M

MickVTSS

Ive got a 5.0lt VTSS Manual and i get around 400-420 from a tank of Premium.

Redfox

Reaction score
Yeah my mileage isn't that good either... I used to get about 420 a tank... now i'm getting about 450 driving a bit more uhhh sedately. 320-350 is pretty shocking tho! Ahhh but you have a V8 tho right? That makes a bit more sense. Anyways, I figure I'll just drive the car til the tranny gets some serious problem. So far it seems to be ok and the ticking has mostly gone away. I have noticed that it's much louder and more noticeable when the car is hot. Also, I hear a pretty loud noise coming from there for about 1 second at start up.

W

Water

Is the noise comming from the rear of the engine or the bellhousing?
If so, it might be a broken weld on the ring gear. This is easy to repair if you have someone that is good at welding.