Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem with VY acceleration??

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me diagnose a bit of a problem.
The mrs complained to me that her car was playing up, so ive taken it for a spin and it sure is.
Basically when it is under power about 2000rpm it is coughing and spluttering, losing power then
getting power. feels almost like air in the lines or something to do with the injection??
Im no mechanic so i dont really know. When the car was serviced a month or so ago the
mechanic said she needed new spark plug leads which she didnt get. Could this be the
problem? Or any suggestions as to what it might be??

Thanks

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I Would first start mate getting new Leads, Plugs and a new fuel & air filter then go from there, start with the basics first :)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I agree with Edals post above.

From what you have described the engine is missing under load and the most likely cause is one or more of the leads are on their way out - like the mechanic advised. I would replace them first and then test the car to see if you have eliminated the problem.

2. As a next step you should certainly replace the spark plugs if they are a few years old or due for replacement or if you have no record of when they were last changed. I strongly suspect the problem is the leads though.

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks for the responses guys.
According to the paperwork the plugs, fuel filter, and air filter were replaced with the service approx 2000kms ago. Might just look at changing the leads and see how we go. Mechanic quoted $260 to change leads. Is thisa reasonable price? If it is a fairly easy job i might have a crack at doing it myself...

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
for a set of Leads should be about 60-70 $ and $30 for a set of NGK/GM spark plugs from Supercheap or auto barn, save your self $100 and do it your self its really not that hard to do :)

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Its extremely easy mate. I think I paid around $75 for 6 about a year ago. You just need to replace one lead at a time so you don't mix up where the leads are meant to go.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
They were genuine Holden BTW.

HERONVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY2 SS
New set of leads and plugs will solve the problem, as mentioned above

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks for the responces guys. So ive had a look at the leads to see whats involved in changing them over.
gave a couple of them a bit of a wiggle to see how easy they come off and low and behold one of them was not attached properly. Pushed it back on nice and firm and waalaa!! The car seems to be running fine now!!
Might get some new leads and change them over anyway.
Thanks for the help.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Thanks for the responces guys. So ive had a look at the leads to see whats involved in changing them over.
gave a couple of them a bit of a wiggle to see how easy they come off and low and behold one of them was not attached properly. Pushed it back on nice and firm and waalaa!! The car seems to be running fine now!!
Might get some new leads and change them over anyway.
Thanks for the help.

If the leads are not damaged or the ends corroded you only need to replace them if there resistance is too high. Take both ends of each lead off one at a time and if you have a multimeter measure the resistance. Don't pull on the leads they break internally. From memory it's about 17,000 ohms max on the long ones and 10,000 ohms max on the short ones.
If the plugs are not fouled, cracked etc. it's a waste of money changing them after 2000km as would replacing the spark plug leads if they are below the maximum resistance.
Maybe the mnechanic left one loose so he could make an easy dollar out of you? At that price he's charging about $200 for 1/2 an hours work.