Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installed 10psi pulley and now car stalls

Death34

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 5.7 M6
Hey guys have just finished putting on the 10psi pulley upgrade on my supercharged vy, took it out for a test drive and went well for about 20mins driving around, then on the way home the engine just cut out while going through a set of lights, ignition still on but motor quits running, and will start straight back up then cut out again after driving for about 2-4mins, the only thing I can think of is that it's upset the Ecu, however I was told you wouldn't need a tune with the 10psi pulley? Any suggestions guys?
Cheers,
Dave

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Did my VT many years ago and never had an issues with it (other than getting the pulley off in the first place, broke a few M8 bolts). Check all your plugs, you may have bumped one loose during the pulley swap.
Does it run rough before quitting? Check the air inrake piping for security as well, may have a loose clamp affecting things.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Shouldn't upset the ecu or need tune of any sort. Mine was bolt on good to go.

It'll have nothing to do with the pulley - perhaps you upset something while under the hood?
Is all your airpipe ducting in order? Did you pump any plug leads?

Death34

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 5.7 M6
Nah it doesn't run rough at all it's just quits, usually starts straight away again, once or twice it took awhile to start up again, haven't bumped anything in the engine bay all I touched was the supercharger snout, really has me stumped? It had no issues whatsoever before I put the new pulley on!

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Won't hurt to go over the wiring etc and make sure nothing is loose. Sounds like a bad connection to me. Was thinking heat related but if it starts again straight away that pretty much rules that out. Fuel pump could be worth sussing out too maybe.
Be sure to follow up when you get it sorted so others can get help if they have similar issues. There's a thread showing for me below in the similar threads area that sounds exactly the same as this. That was back in '09 and the OP didn't post the solution, if he found one that is.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Does it stall while rolling or with throttle applied? If its stalling while throttle is applied, check trouble codes, could be crank angle sensor.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Are you using 98 octane?

Death34

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 5.7 M6
I thought maybe heat aswell but the temp gauge showed normal and yeah fires back up straight away, don't think it would be fuel pump as I've seen a dodgy fuel pump and it just runs rough, mine doesn't run rough, it stalls when rolling, so when I take my foot off the throttle it will roll for a bit then stall, was happening while slowing down for corners and would cut while turning the corner, would not using 98 make that much of a difference because I'm pretty sure it has standard unleaded in the tank atm?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Sounds like the bypass valve isnt flowing properly. The MAF is reading more airflow than what is actually entering the motor. That will cause a stall at low revs or just as you let off the throttle. Now that youre running 10psi the problem is exaggerated.

Death34

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 5.7 M6
Where is the bypass valve located? And how would you check if it is operating correctly?
Cheers