Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz thermostat replacement

vn nut

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5.0
Hey guys just wandering i was lookin at my fatherin laws v6 alloytec has anybody succesfully changed the thermostat with out taking intake manifold off or even if its possible?
also he reckons the temp sometimes fluctuates up just under the red ehat would that be i thought thermostat might be a good start and maybe radiator flush/ replacement?
cheers guys

blackwarlock

braap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
I've heard the thermostat in the alloytec is an absolute bi#%h of a job to do. It's wedged between the back of the motor and the firewall, very limited space.
I believe holden mechanics drop the k frame and let the motor 'sag' to get more room and do it that way.
Not sure if the manifold would need removing. But considering the other work involved the manifold would be the least of your worries.

******I will add, i've not done this job before and have only heard stories and spoken to a holden machanic that i know.

Talk to someone who has done the job or get someone on here to send you photos of the manual to fix this.

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Done a couple at work. Manifold off to get to the bolts on the pipe easier. Not impossible to leave it on though.
Yep, biatch of a job...
Make sure you replace the o-ring at the other end of the housing too, and don't pinch it on assembly! Lol

vn nut

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5.0
I thought it was just above the waterpump?

blackwarlock

braap
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
think that was the ecotecs. alloytecs its at the back

vn nut

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5.0
Yeah my ecotec on my vt is at the front
but theres like i dont know what it is but looks like a thermostat housing just above water pump done a little research and it is at the back
just feel sorry for my brother in law his mechanic stung him for replacing thermostat but all it was was a leak from that pipe above waterpump?
scammer

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
other o ring and dont pinch it??? have my sons to do tommorrow, do you have pics, are these holden only o rings, have thermo (needs new overflow bottle also)

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
hi, the book says to take maniflod off, then the wiring harness moved aside thats blocking the view of the thermostat housing.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Can you get just the thermostat or is it all one bit with the housing ? I've got a different engine I'm about to put in my wagon and was gonna do the thermostat wile the engine was out looked on eBay and they were 90 bucks with the housing and I ain't really got aspare 90 bucks.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
u can, check your local parts store, i went for an early opener