Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN vs VT

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I owned a VN 1990 V6 for nearly 10 years and loved owning it unfortunately it was costing more than it was worth in repairs and now I own a VY V6. The VN was a bit tired so I'd have to say the VY is faster anyway that aside it is much better designed and a lot safer.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
who would win -
my mates vt ss 4 spd auto stock
or
my vn berlina 4spd auto, 2.5" catback exhaust, extractors, cold air intake inclosure, cold air intake system, twin thermo fans, stainless steel pipe running everything under the bonnet, sv3800 chip & memcal, stage 2 shift kit, corvette servo, 0.500" boost valve, 3.9 diff gears & V8 LSD????
cheers guyz

vt ss 5l v8, super 6 or ls1?

and is it a vn v6 or 5l?

those details are sorta important when trying to determine who will win....

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Manual V6 VN's own all the commodores until Alloytecs, even then only the 190kw alloytec is actually quicker then a VN lol. The 175kw version is about the same as a good VN. Anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about. BTW ive owned a VN, VT and now a VZ SV6. I also got my 0-100 and 1/4 times from old motor/wheels magazines.

VNAer0HDT

Bricky - We lay You pay
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
mines a v6 vn 4 spd auto
& his ia a vt ss 5l v8

Last edited:

VNAer0HDT

Bricky - We lay You pay
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
2.5" catback exhaust, extractors, cold air intake inclosure, cold air intake system, twin thermo fans, stainless steel pipe running everything under the bonnet, sv3800 chip & memcal, stage 2 shift kit, corvette servo, 0.500" boost valve, 3.9 diff gears & V8 LSD..
thats a fair bit of power increase.. :p but im still an amatuer so yer :p

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Must be good knowing your always right?

Well i edited my post but i got all the 0-100 and 1/4 times from old motor /wheels magazines. Unlike some people that say OMG ive never been beaten by <insert car model> in my life lol.

Look up the figures yourself mate. The manual VN does 0- 100 in 7.7 secs. Here is a link i found just then as well.

All the later commodes bar the VP which is also very close to the VN are in the 9 sec 0-100 mark, even the VZ exec is in the high 8's

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
my vp calais v6 auto does 0-60mph .04 of a second slower than my mates vz exec auto wagon

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
The fastest V6 commie by far was HSV's VT XU6. They put a better transmission on the VT supercharged and got 0-100 in 7.4 secs way back in '98! Much better car than a VN as it had safety features like dual airbags and ABS as standard.

i just noticed the date of the thread, lol nice dig man

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Manual V6 VN's own all the commodores until Alloytecs, even then only the 190kw alloytec is actually quicker then a VN lol. The 175kw version is about the same as a good VN. Anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about. BTW ive owned a VN, VT and now a VZ SV6. I also got my 0-100 and 1/4 times from old motor/wheels magazines.

Maybe when they were new but most have high K's now and are not as fast as when they were new and the very early VN's were weapons iff the mark. I remember driving a VN Lexan V6 auto in about 1988 it was almost new and stock standard and it absolutely flew, bulk wheel spin if you put the boot in to much and they used to get nicked a lot because they were so fast and then a few years ago my VN which was a 1990 V6 with a 2 1/4 inch cat back system would get blown away by most things probably as it had over 300,000km on it. I'd have to say that the VY I have now up against my old VN the VY would be faster. Also remember the newer cars are quieter inside so the sensation of speed is lower.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe when they were new but most have high K's now and are not as fast as when they were new and the very early VN's were weapons iff the mark. I remember driving a VN Lexan V6 auto in about 1988 it was almost new and stock standard and it absolutely flew, bulk wheel spin if you put the boot in to much and they used to get nicked a lot because they were so fast and then a few years ago my VN which was a 1990 V6 with a 2 1/4 inch cat back system would get blown away by most things probably as it had over 300,000km on it. I'd have to say that the VY I have now up against my old VN the VY would be faster. Also remember the newer cars are quieter inside so the sensation of speed is lower.

Well of course you have to take KM into account, but you will find most VN's with anything under 150,000 will still be very quick. My VN was an auto with 100,000km on it with Home Brand oil and neglected and even i was surprised with all the VX and VT's i was beating off the line. The point where i REALLY gained respect from it was when i towed back my mates Ford Courier work ute weighing over 2 tonne's back from gosford, damb there was alot of smoke coming form the gearbox :rofl2:.