Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V6 Engine Blew up??

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
lol.. Yeah, nah it wont sound that bad, it should sound pretty good with the two mufflers on.
Shouldn't have that horrible droany noise, but still should have a bit of a note when you put the boot in. :)

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
would it be stupid and will i loose power if i just leave the stock exhaust on??

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
im not doing this exhaust system for sound, im doing it for best performance? in 2 weeks im going to put a bigger throttle body and stage 2 shift kit..and also a chip from dr bob.. Now i just rang tid bros exhaust place.. and the manager said stock exhaust is 2 &1/4 and that i should go 2.5 so the car can breath better.. thats y im confused now lol.. i obviously dont know a lot about cars.. but when people say from the cat & back, where abouts in the car is that, cause i want to change my whole exhaust system to be the same measurement, this is where im confused? Like can i get a a system with 2 mufflers going straight to the extractors?

Where your cat sits in your car...From there back

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
The stock exhaust will work fine for basic street driving, I doubt you'd even notice the difference, apart from the sound.
The only time you really notice a difference, is if you were racing it, like on a drag strip or something, where you need much higher revs than normal street driving.

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
This is not a Commodore system, but is just to give you an idea of where the Catalytic Converter is, in relation to the rest of the system.

Image3.gif

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Thanks for that guys, much appreciated:) Now for dragging blokes on the street ,you recommend red back 2.5 inch or just stock? just in mind i got pacemaker extractors?

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
Thanks for that guys, much appreciated:) Now for dragging blokes on the street ,you recommend red back 2.5 inch or just stock? just in mind i got pacemaker extractors?

I will NOT give you any recommendations at all regarding 'dragging blokes on the street', as personally I don't not promote, support, nor agree with this kind of stupid, reckless, and inconsiderate behaviour.

There may be others in here who's opinions differ from mine.

But having said that, IF you wish to use your car for OFF STREET racing, at an approved and licensed venue, the yes, go with the 2.5" for this purpose. :)

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
Not that ill do it every day, just like every now and then you know..but is it possible to get a whole new exhaust system from the extractors and back instead of cat and back ,will this give it better performance..?

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
Well really, there is no point getting new extractors, if you already have the set you have now.
Just as long as they correctly matched to your engine, ie- exhaust port size, fire sequence etc.. you can use the ones you have, and just 'match' the rest new system, to your existing extractors.
Meaning, make sure the high flow Cat you get, has the same input size as your extractors, at the point where they all join up.
For example, say like 2.5" from from your extractors, in to a 2.5" input in your Cat.
Then just make sure the output side of your Cat is also 2.5", to match your 2.5" system.
From my own experience, most Cat's have a bigger input side than their output side, but there are possibly a lot of different types out there now, all designed differently.
You might just have to do some research in different exhaust places, to find the right type of Cat to match your set-up.
I had a system on a 6cyl VL, extractors collected at 2.5", into the Cat at the same size, then out of the Cat at 2 1/4, into a 2 1/4 system, right through to the tip, it worked fine for me. :)

mr_kreative

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8L
im pretty sure my pacemakers are are 1 3/4..??