Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sick of people complaining about speed Cameras?

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon

I complain about the propaganda.

The government do not give a squat about safety, all they care about is profiting from a reactive feature.

For example, this is just on my way to work today.
- No indicators
- Late indicators
- Fog lights
- Above 80km/h when towing
- Not keeping left/staying in right hand lane when doing 20km/h below the limit
- Unable to keep in a chosen lane/swerving between two lanes
- Tailgating
-
- Side mirror in incorrect position/side mirror still closed against car
- Dangerous driving, not checking blind spot
- On phone/sms
- Rolling through stop sign
- Not giving way

This was a 15 minute drive. All of these are bookable offenses that involve a fine and varied demerit points.

No. I'm tired of that malarkey, and frankly I'm tired of people who defend it with "Err, if you don't speed you don't get affected". It is the principle of the thing, starting with the government lying. Then again, nothing new there.

all of those ignored offenses also have more potential in causing serious accidents than doing 65kms in a 60kms zone going down a hill

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I used to work for the RTA in the field of road safety. I can say, hand on heart 1. there is a lot of smoke and mirrors as to the effacy of speed cameras, and 2. The involvement of speeding in accidents - based on RTA data - is completely overblown. Lemme unpack these....

1. I read a report (classified) back when I worked in Road Safety at HQ one day during lunch (2005). It was on the G drive so I had authorised access to it. At 25% of sites, the accident rate increased. In addition, these sites were the same sites that O'Farrell switched off when he came to power. Ergo, the RTA KNEW about their lack of effacy, and yet the NSW government raked in millions in fines over the years.

2. A project I was involved with involved vehicle run off road accidents where they hit an object - namely a tree, fence, guidepost etc. I had to use our photogrammetry and find on the system where crash happened, and how far away the object was from the fog line. The raw data on accidents also had vehicle speed in it. What percentage of vehicles were over posted speed limit at time of crash (before loss of control?) - only FIVE PERCENT! No, this is no bullcrap......5%. For the record 860 sites were investigated around various highways in NSW.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
How about INCREASING the damn speed limits. The fwy camera over here caught 20,000 drivers over the "limit". Obviously its too bloody low...
But wait, most of Perth is made up of old people and for them anything over 60 is hooning it :boxing:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I actually somewhat agree that speed cameras are revenue raising - I just don't care, I actually think that's fine. They could be paying a cop to sit on the site of the road with a LIDAR and book a few guys an hour, or they can put up a camera and do the same job with greater efficacy and efficiency, while that cop is out doing something else a camera can't do.

If the government is serious about enforcing the speed limits in order to 'save lives', then paying a copper to intercept speeding vehicles on the spot would be far more effective (rather than efficient) than a camera. Efficiency plays no part in saving lives if the speeding motorist is snapped by the camera and then slams into another car 50 metres down the road because it was not intercepted.

So yeah speed cameras are revenue raisers which isn't an issue in itself (don't speed and you won't contribute). What gets my back up, is the government attempts to patronise the public into believing that the cameras are there purely to save lives. Why not just tell it as it is. The cameras are simply another method to raise revenue (they have very little if anything to do with saving lives) of which very little if any gets invested back into road safety. If they are serious about preventing speeding and saving lives, then put more police out there with radar guns and actually intercept speeding motorists whilst they are actually engaged in the act...

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
My thoughts exactly Darren. Maybe some of those people with the lame," Don't speed and you have nothing to worry about" excuse can now see that they in fact do still have something to worry about.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
If people think speed cameras are not revenue raisers, you are DELUDED! And the govt has been succsessful in brainwashing you. Happy motoring.

Shedvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary Commodore
Glad Im not the only one over the crappy drivers on the road. So sick of seeing people on their phones. Back to the original discussion, when you know where the camera's are you slow down. If you take the chance and speed then you cant whinge if youre caught. If the revenue raised actually went to improving our roads or some driver training for teenagers while they are at still school..that would be nice.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
You will find the majority of people who logically argue against 'safety cameras' have never been done by them. I myself have never had a negative run in with the fuzz, but I dislike and will happily complain about 'safety cameras'.

I complain about the propaganda, misinformation and plain lies the RTA and the government surround with their 'success' of 'safety cameras'. The police have their hands tied in red tape and KPI's just to retain their low paid and low respected jobs. Adding to the fuel we have government owned RTA safety cameras.

The government do not give a squat about safety, all they care about is profiting from a reactive feature. If they actually cared about road statistics, instead of spending millions of dollars on ad campaigns no demographically targeted person pays attention to, they should invest PROACTIVELY that money towards more fuzz on the roads actively patrolling and TICKETING people who break the law.

For example, this is just on my way to work today.
- No indicators
- Late indicators
- Fog lights
- Above 80km/h when towing
- Not keeping left/staying in right hand lane when doing 20km/h below the limit
- Unable to keep in a chosen lane/swerving between two lanes
- Tailgating
- Hand dangling out the window
- Side mirror in incorrect position/side mirror still closed against car
- Dangerous driving, not checking blind spot
- On phone/sms
- Rolling through stop sign
- Not giving way

This was a 15 minute drive. All of these are bookable offenses that involve a fine and varied demerit points, however a lot of paperwork and court proceedings.

Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed the deterioration of quality drivers on the road? The government makes out that speeding is the be all and end all demon of driving, to the point where all these other offenses are plainly ignored by uniformed police officers because it takes up too much time, paperwork, court time. Surely there is someone who has made the decision it is a better investment to put speed cameras in place that don't need breaks, don't get over time, and do nothing but take photos to make revenue whilst the government sit back and say "It's for your safety".

No. I'm tired of that malarkey, and frankly I'm tired of people who defend it with "Err, if you don't speed you don't get affected". It is the principle of the thing, starting with the government lying. Then again, nothing new there.

So, your saying it's illegal to drive over 80kph whilst towing?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I dont complain about speed cameras in general, but I do get really pissed off when I see them on safe stretches of road that have had zero accidents or injuries and usually have speed limits lower than what they should be.

They should only be put in areas that have a history of speed related accidents, school zones and places that pedestrians frequent.

A high percentage of Australian drivers should not be in control of a motor vehicle. Stop buying cameras and put actual Police on the roads and start punishing drivers for inconsiderate and stupid driving that speed cameras dont detect.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I dont complain about speed cameras in general, but I do get really pissed off when I see them on safe stretches of road that have had zero accidents or injuries and usually have speed limits lower than what they should be.

Yes but the figures look good.. Safety camera in area and zero accidents, see they do save lives!!!