Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What amp do I need.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I would use the pioneer... any amp will go into protect mode when pushed too far.

c4hire

Reaction score
Website
www.elinz.com.au
Members Ride
Holden
Hi all,
I have recently been given 2 x pioneer 1200watt subs.
Now I have a couple of amps I thought would be okay, but they will not run these 2 subs.

With size 4 channel amp should I be running to get the best out of my subs?

These are what I'm running.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You need at least a 4ga wire to the amp. Make sure that amp is rated at 1200watts RMS @ 2ohms(or half of what your speakers are)if your amp and other electrical stuff in your car don't get the required voltage then in theory that could cause damage or burn out that component faster.

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
With going a monoblock amp, if it's just a 2 channel, I can run it parallel, is this correct?
sorry I only ask cos just to be sure.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
Not sure how the guy above knows the specs of the box but audio enthusiasts like to wank on about how good thier **** is because it meets certain specs on paper.
Everyones ear is different and everyone has different tastes.
Take the old wine analogy as a perfect example. Some will swear buy the $600 bottle but in a blind test pick the $8 bottle as the favorite.

Not knowing the specs or volume of the subs or box, it will be pretty safe to assume they will pump hard being feed the max wrms.
Pioneer are not stupid and wouldn't market such subs in a box that doesnt sound good.
If you want to spend $2000 on subs then you will get much better quality sound that hits each octave but its like my mum compairing a hyundi i30 to amg e63. The i30 does everything she needs (gets to work and back) and is cheap. While the amg e63 does it a liitle bit better (in her eyes) its no where near the price tag. $20,000 vs 230,000.
She thinks this is just a stupid price to pay, when she can get a near enough to same result with the i30.

To answer your question, look for an amp that will put out the rms rating of the subwoofers. Eg the first response seems to know the wrms rating for these subs, so look for an amp that has the combined rating.
You should be able to pick up a half decent amp that will power these subs adequately for around $150 in oz or less then $100 if you buy from over seas. I recomend you buy from oz and support the local market some.
I dont know a hell of a lot about car audio and I wont pretend to but unless your entering sound comps for spl or sq then dont get caught upin the hype of quality you want su s that go boom any of these amps will do the job. Theres heaps out there that will do it better but price vs boom, these will be enough.

800 RMS Amp: Car Amplifiers | eBay

Is that amp a monoblock? sorry to ask so many questions. i know how to wire it all up. i just dont know alot about amps etc

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
A monoblock is a large single channel amplifier. Perfect for subs. No matter how many subs you have 1, 2, 3, 4 or 12.. typically you don't want them stereo as your ears can't really determine left and right at those lower frequencies. So we use one large amplifier (in simple systems) to drive them both from the same source. so you would put speaker positives onto the same positive of the amplifier and both speaker negatives to the negative output of the amplifier.

So, assuming that StoneX and ammojammo are correct (no reason to doubt them and it would make sense what they said) about the subs being 4ohm each, if we parallel the subs together we get a single 2ohm load which just about every monoblock I know is capable of handling.

Now without knowing the actual model of your amps and their outputs, I can still safely say that with the selection of amps you have the pioneer monoblock would be the best by far... and quite possibly be better or as good as other amps within your budget range.

Change out your door speakers and install the 4 channel and you will have a killer budget system!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Oh ok.
The size of that port says it all...
What sort of spl are you reaching with that monstrosity ammo?
Looks well built.

Judging by the power cable laying beside the box.... Not Much! hehe j/k

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
The box is ****, the subs don't suit a sealed box at all, and the prefab pioneer box is made out of 12mm mdf.

How do I know this? I have four of those subs, I have the same prefab box, I've never used the box, because a basic ported box for those subs will give much better results!

y3t7.jpg

ddpc.jpg

see in this picture where he has 2 lots of speaker wire jacks.
My sub box has 4 in a row on either side like so (has that set out either side of the sub box)

attachment.php

does that help? sorry bout the paint pic lol missus took the car so i couldnt get a pic

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Pioneer only sold TS-W305C (4 ohm single voice coil) in Australia and the 305CDOUBLE box came with two of those subs. I don't remember the terminal configuration though.

The TS-W305DVC (4 ohm dual voice coil) was not sold in Australia.

If you can get a multimeter, just measure the resistance of the terminals and/or pull a sub out and look at how it's wired and it's model.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
4 in a row on either side?....screams DVC to me. You need to check that out first with a multimeter mate. If you need help, sing out and one of us can walk you through it.