Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Disconnecting a supercharger

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Well that's true. If it was two years ago I would have known a lot more about the subject, but of late I don't really car for Holden's as much.

This is partly due to certain members of this, so called "community of car enthusiasts" & their lovely attitude to others that have a similar passion for the same brand of car.

This thread is a perfect example of how this forum now operates.

TI3VOM, i was disappointed in you in this thread. You’ve always stood up for the V6 boys and ive always respected you for that

But you’ve quoted figures/information that were incorrect, and have since been corrected by members who don’t own Holdens (and i assume its been a number of years since they have)

We’re all human and make mistakes, and i understand that. But im curious to know how this forum operates in your eyes

Because all i see is the members of this forum providing techincal info to OP’s question, providing facts and figures, and their opinion. Everything the OP needs to help make a discision.

As far as OP’s question goes, i dont know alot about the super 6’s as far as being reliable, fuel cosumption, performance etc. my opinion is its cheaper with less K’s id be buying the super 6. Extra power that cost less. Providing you are legal to drive it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Nobody threw a tantrum, thanks for giving me another insult.

Some comments made by me were stupid yes, there I have admitted it.

Is any one else going to admit they may have jumped the gun? Probably not.

Ill happily admit I jumped in here because you were making a fool of yourself.

Ive tried recently to stay well clear of these threads and in some instances have even provided helpful information to V6 posters.

However, YOU were the one that started the age old argument and mentioned V8s and then listed off facts and figures that were then shown to be incorrect.

When someone asks why they are noticing a negative price difference between standard ecotecs and L67 driven cars, thats opening the floor for negatives about the engine. Thats not people posting hate or just ragging on it because its 6.

When someone asks if they should buy a LS, I list every problem out there. Piston slap, lifters, oil issues. They are akin to being a inefficient engine in a heavy boat shell.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
The L67 isn't a bad engine if you limit yourself to exhaust and a boost upgrade, after that it is horrible $ per kw.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
See what youve gone and done patto848 ? Sometimes talking about V6s is like poking wasp nest. Can be quite amusing or cringe worthy and hard to extract the useful information.

If I were you and had the cash id be looking for a manual VY. They are always more fun and have better resale value for when you get your full license. Change the diff ratio and make it look good handle well and pump the tunes, thats about all you can do while on Ps I gather.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Ill happily admit I jumped in here because you were making a fool of yourself.

Ive tried recently to stay well clear of these threads and in some instances have even provided helpful information to V6 posters.

However, YOU were the one that started the age old argument and mentioned V8s and then listed off facts and figures that were then shown to be incorrect.

When someone asks why they are noticing a negative price difference between standard ecotecs and L67 driven cars, thats opening the floor for negatives about the engine. Thats not people posting hate or just ragging on it because its 6.

When someone asks if they should buy a LS, I list every problem out there. Piston slap, lifters, oil issues. They are akin to being a inefficient engine in a heavy boat shell.

I actually didn't start any arguments Michael, all I did was mention that the L67 was more powerful than the V8 commodore version. This lead to people informing I was full of **** and on this occasion, I was, I have already admitted that.

I still don't see how thestig can write off the L67?
He is the one who started this by comparing his experience with his 3800 V6 that was highly modified & then compares the performance difference to the stock L67. Were those peformance figures done on an actual dyno and quarter mile? Or were they just on the G-Tec?

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Another typical L67 bash thread, always seems to be the way on this forum. This forum would have the least amount of L67's on it yet everyone that has never owned one seems to know everything about them, as usual.

I swear that so many on this forum live in a cave and never venture out to see what others are up to. They base their "facts" on nothing more than their own opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
TI3VOM, i was disappointed in you in this thread. You’ve always stood up for the V6 boys and ive always respected you for that

But you’ve quoted figures/information that were incorrect, and have since been corrected by members who don’t own Holdens (and i assume its been a number of years since they have)

We’re all human and make mistakes, and i understand that. But im curious to know how this forum operates in your eyes

Because all i see is the members of this forum providing techincal info to OP’s question, providing facts and figures, and their opinion. Everything the OP needs to help make a discision.

As far as OP’s question goes, i dont know alot about the super 6’s as far as being reliable, fuel cosumption, performance etc. my opinion is its cheaper with less K’s id be buying the super 6. Extra power that cost less. Providing you are legal to drive it.

I was referring to the way certain people (guaranteed nearly every time) love to jump in on any V6 thread & if their is a difference of opinion they then gang up.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
can someone clarify if its legal for an 18 year old P plater to drive a super 6 in VIC.

if they are legal to drive them, then the smarter choice is to buy the super6. not only being cheaper with lower Ks but they have more avenue's to venture. OP can keep it stock and enjoy the extra power it has over the N/A or start modding it. this isnt a discussion for power for $. because we all know where it leads. and its OPs money to choose how he spends it

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
You see this is what happens when people don't read my posts.

I never said the SC14 was "top ****" I said it made more power than an Asthmatic L67 on an older engine when running the same amount of boost. So if I am polishing turds with an admittedly budget bolt on option, what are Holden doing with the L67?

Yeah turd polishing happens a lot lol. The SC14 was not a factory option and you were spinning it way past it's engineered levels.......which a standard L67 isn't. So your comparison is just mute

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I actually didn't start any arguments Michael, all I did was mention that the L67 was more powerful than the V8 commodore version. This lead to people informing I was full of **** and on this occasion, I was, I have already admitted that.

Unsure why you keep using my first name.

But anywho. You cannot see how you posting the incorrect information and making the claim that the Super 6 was faster than the V8 could start an argument? Thats exactly the same as someone saying "Buy a V8".

Jecs, the laws are changing again, but currently in Vic, you cannot drive any petrol car with forced induction, turbo diesels etc are fine in some instances. From memory under the new laws coming in the Calais SC6 were ok, although not entirely sure. They havent applied to me in 5 years so I havent bothered to researc

Last edited: