Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY17 Specs and Release Date

207 line

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSVR
When I was a young boy I was fascinated by V8s, the big American imports (Customlines, Chevys, Plymouths, etc) and even Trucks because they sounded good and represented power (there's no substitute for cubes). Now there are plenty of substitutes with different technologies. I always wanted a V8 but never in the budget. Then they were almost killed off in the 70s due to fuel prices. So when it came time to trade in the family VN Wagon in 1995, we took a V8 Commodore for a run and were wrapped in the smoothness and effortless drive. I said to my wife that this may be the last chance to buy a V8 due to changing times and dwindling demand. So my first V8 was a VR Clubsport. Insurance costs killed that after 2 years ($3000 to renew) so the VSII Statesman filled the bill as flying under the radar. Happy with that until the Billion Dollar Baby was born - the best Holden for years (IMO) and AFM sort of justified the fuel issue for the 6.0l V8, popularity soared and insurance companies weren't scared anymore (maybe because older people bought them?). The trouble with Commodores is, like most Holdens before them, they are cheap to maintain (compared to the imported 'Holdens' which wear out disc rotors, cam chains, and everything else mechanical as soon as warranty expires) and built to last - hence lower turnover. So now I have bought my truly last V8 - sports car performance that can double as a family car (especially the wagon) and it probably is a dinosaur relegated to those of us who remember the past (and probably sadly missed by fleets and Police etc). Current generations are more fascinated by electronics and gadgets (and the Commodore does have some) but few of them will be showing their mates what's under the hood or starting it up for them. So I am not going to have a go at you, everything has changed and will continue to do so - what would be the point of developing a self drive V8 for instance?

Yes, agreed on the points raised, but every one has gone totally AMERICANO! SUV's have been the craze for a while now and dosent look like abating in sales. They all feel invincible in them. :rolleyes: Nice if you have a camper or go bush a lot but in the burbs for dropping the kids off at school or to the local shops ???

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
Got on to my dealer to see if I could get some photos when the new car is unloaded. Unfortunately I'll have to rely on the dealer to do this for me, as they won't know what time it will arrive. As I'm in Ballarat the truck from Adelaide normally drops the car off here on the way through to Melbourne so they're never sure of what time it will arrive. When I got the last one they had two SSVR's come off the line on the Friday and they were expecting both on the same day. The other one turned up the next Tuesday but mine didn't arrive until the Friday, so guess it's just luck of the draw with transport. At this stage we're looking at delivery to me in the week, beginning 27 March, hopefully I don't get the slow truck again.

GEN4SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International. VP SS. VF2 SSV
Got on to my dealer to see if I could get some photos when the new car is unloaded. Unfortunately I'll have to rely on the dealer to do this for me, as they won't know what time it will arrive. As I'm in Ballarat the truck from Adelaide normally drops the car off here on the way through to Melbourne so they're never sure of what time it will arrive. When I got the last one they had two SSVR's come off the line on the Friday and they were expecting both on the same day. The other one turned up the next Tuesday but mine didn't arrive until the Friday, so guess it's just luck of the draw with transport. At this stage we're looking at delivery to me in the week, beginning 27 March, hopefully I don't get the slow truck again.
I see the truck unloading at Ballarat Holden on my way to work quite regularly. Its usually around 6am. Congrats on you purchase

Jj83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv
Anyone know where I can get the latest employee pricing list. I'm in the processing of ordering the new 2017 redline with the employee discount and just wanted to check the price. Thanks

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Shoot CVO an email with your payroll ID and they will email you the appropriate pricefile . You should of received a copy of the price file when you received your letter of introduction if they had your email on file.

Jj83

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv
Shoot CVO an email with your payroll ID and they will email you the appropriate pricefile . You should of received a copy of the price file when you received your letter of introduction if they had your email on file.
Thanks, I received my letter of introduction via email however didn't receive the price list. Will email them today.

GEN4SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International. VP SS. VF2 SSV
Thanks, I received my letter of introduction via email however didn't receive the price list. Will email them today.
You can also get it by logging into gmpartnerprogram.com.au.
You select generate a certificate for any model and before you enter any details there is a download link to the latest price list.

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
Yes, agreed on the points raised, but every one has gone totally AMERICANO! SUV's have been the craze for a while now and dosent look like abating in sales. They all feel invincible in them. :rolleyes: Nice if you have a camper or go bush a lot but in the burbs for dropping the kids off at school or to the local shops ???

I am not too sure why you are stating that every one has gone AMERICANO! The Aussie muscle car / V8 is based on the American muscle car / V8. Not all people are buying SUVs, but they are very popular. Not all SUVs are from America, as a lot of the Japanese/Korean based cars have a large range of SUVs. Not all people in the burbs are dropping off their kids at school or going to the local shops in SUVs, but you do see more SUVs doing these regular chores than you do an Aussie V8! It seems now these last Aussie V8s will become luxury cars. Mine certainly will be!