Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF V6 to much oil

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I gave the VF SV6 Storm a oil change today after it done 250k yes quarter of 1000k's in 11 months and i put 4mm (less than 1/4 inch) to much oil above the full mark in it. No doubt tomorrow the 4MM will be 5 mm so is this to much or can i syphon a little out with a clear tube on the dip stick tube if I can buy one that small.
Or better still has anyone done this before as I done this on the auto before with a larger clear tube and it was easy to do.
Thanks

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
5mm over full is not an issue. Dont bother...

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wouldn't bother if you hardly drive it. But was that level after you ran the engine? If not it will drop after filling the filter ( you did change the filter yeah?)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wouldn’t worry about it.
Two changes ago, I dropped nearly 7ltrs into the VZ. Went fine. No doubt a Shinto load of windage going on. I did plan to let some out of sump but couldn’t be f’d. Engine was nice and quiet.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wouldn't bother if you hardly drive it. But was that level after you ran the engine? If not it will drop after filling the filter ( you did change the filter yeah?)
Yes Change the Filter and started the car. These filter drain all the Oil back to the sump not like the earlier v6 engine like the Ecotech as with the Ecotech you start the car stop the car and quickly remove the filter and then you dump some oil

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I gave the VF SV6 Storm a oil change today after it done 250k yes quarter of 1000k's in 11 months and i put 4mm (less than 1/4 inch) to much oil above the full mark in it. No doubt tomorrow the 4MM will be 5 mm so is this to much or can i syphon a little out with a clear tube on the dip stick tube if I can buy one that small.
Or better still has anyone done this before as I done this on the auto before with a larger clear tube and it was easy to do.
Thanks
Suger, I made a Mistake with the K's done in 11 months. The Previous reading 11 months ago was 3073 and now it is 3254, it has done a whopping 181 K's since the last oil change.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No harm in a couple of close changes.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wow. I'd rather drive the car the way it's meant to be driven but just my opinion.
I'd just leave the oil sit there, if any thing extra oil will protect against corrosion if the car is not being driven. If you did want to drain a cup of oil just undo the sump plug, let it drain for 1 second and put it back in.
I agree about the cartridge filter, although you would still get a tiny bit of oil out that way but really a waste of time.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Years ago a certain manufacturer :)cough: Holden :cough:) had a problem with their engines using a little more oil than desired betweern oil changes. The solution? Replace the dipstick with a dipstick that had a higher full point on it and increase the fill amount to compensate. I'm thinking it was 1/2-1 litre more than originally specced. I wouldn't stress about 5mm too much.