Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
I’m still going to get a dip stick and deep sump for the 6L80
I’ll be off to the USA in few months so look at getting one over there if not before

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just be careful in the US as i know there engine sumps are different to ours, so im not sure if there trans sumps may be different also as there accessories and such can be setup/routed different to ours

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
As a point of interest for the VN build with 4L60 trans we are going to use the attached Derale sump which still uses standard length filter however its holding 2 litres more ATF between/below air cooling tubes
However mine is just gold plated rust preventive

1701848014646.png

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
just be careful in the US as i know there engine sumps are different to ours, so im not sure if there trans sumps may be different also as there accessories and such can be setup/routed different to ours
Which sumps are different? All LS?
As far as I've seen the 2 part #s I've looked at for trans it's all been interchangeable.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Which sumps are different? All LS?
As far as I've seen the 2 part #s I've looked at for trans it's all been interchangeable.
i wasnt sure on the trans sumps, but the engine sumps can be different so just wasnt sure on the trans stuff as i know they do things a little different over there on some things (or we are doing it different here )

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
i wasnt sure on the trans sumps, but the engine sumps can be different so just wasnt sure on the trans stuff as i know they do things a little different over there on some things (or we are doing it different here )
Yes I meant did you know which engine sumps are different?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
… the filter and ATF was changed in Jan /2023 service @ 137,457 km although this was suppose to be done @ 150,000km…
That’s good to know something was done by the dealer at 137k kms :p

I’d guess that the dealer service was just a pan drop where the torque converter would still be holding a few litres(?) of 137k km old fluid. After your pan drop, that old TC fluid would mix with your new pan fluid which is why it would look so dark after 15k km of driving with the odometer now at 150k km. Just rephrasing and adding to what @Immortality said in post #136

As is, another couple of pan drops and fluid changes should see it finally a clean pink, else you can use a flush technique to replace all fluid

Been a while since I’ve watched the above so can’t remember when within the process he uses when he changed the trans filter. Ideally the trans filter should be changed as a last step, to be sure to be sure, using a pan drop technique though that would use more fluid…

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m still going to get a dip stick and deep sump for the 6L80
I’ll be off to the USA in few months so look at getting one over there if not before
Group buy :p:p:p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I'll give this a go soon and will let you know how it goes with the seal puller. Should pop right out a long as there is enough clearance to get it in there.
Just don’t scratch the walls of the pump tube trying to pull the seal out as it will then suck air and cause other issues :oops: