Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
I'm not one for posting about a oil change, however having just completed oil and filter change on the VE V6, and VF 6.0 litre over last 2 days, I was comparing the difference in Ryco filters for VF 6 litre and the older VN 304 V8 which we just upgraded to remote filter.
However filter is same size just different threaded screw, would I thoiught over the years the filter capacity would of increased
car had 152,000 KM on clock, always serviced by holden, this is first service I've done on this car
new and old oil
Used castrol magnatec 5W-30 SX 7.6 litres
Ryco fliter VF 6.0: Z663
Ryco filter VF 6.0: (blue which was removed)
Ryco filter VN 304: Z160

NB: VF 6.0 spin on filter removal: Used 50 yrs old oil strap/socket removal...still working well, tightened by hand to install
oil pan nut: 15mm

Attachments

• Z663 Vs Z160 filter #1.jpg
    Z663 Vs Z160 filter #1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Z663 Vs Z160 filter #2.jpg
    Z663 Vs Z160 filter #2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 61
  • Z663 Vs original filter #3.jpg
    Z663 Vs original filter #3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Old Vs new oil #2.jpg
    Old Vs new oil #2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Old Vs new oil #3.jpg
    Old Vs new oil #3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 66

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep an eye on that 6L filter. If you don't tighten them up pretty well they have a habit of leaking. I made the mistake once when I did the first oil change, while cussing the place that fitted the one prior. I was stuck at the old house 1.5hrs from Town, oil dumped and a stuck filter and no oil filter tool. Had to smash it off with a screwdriver and hammer. I thought what idiot screwed this on so tight? So I just did it hand tight. Few months later I thought I blew a rear main or something, oil everywhere. It was just the filter. Bought the Ryco socket and now use a ratchet. I was used to old Buick V6 ones where hand tight is fine and you can undo them unaided too.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
need to sort out the trans ATF and filter change in few days, will check it engine filter again, when I say hand tight it was both hands ringing its neck
However got your point

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably be ok. I was just used to the 1/4 turn once the seal bites tension that you get away with on the early V6.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Not an SS but I changed the oil on my new-to-me SV6 for the first time and used a Mann filter I bought from amazon.com. It was cheaper to get a few of these with the free shipping than it was to get the Ryco locally. The Ryco is made in China and the Mann was made in Germany, but the Ryco did actually look a little better with metal end caps, vs. the plastic caps on the Mann. I'd like to think the Mann has higher quality media, but who's to say. I used Mobil 1 5W-30. Only planning on changing it once every 1-2 years, depending on how much we actually use the car.

PXL_20231110_234304131~2.jpg

Years ago I had a Cadillac CTS-V with the LS2 and I used to use AC Ultraguard Gold filters. I think they were UPF-44?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Keep an eye on that 6L filter. If you don't tighten them up pretty well they have a habit of leaking. I made the mistake once when I did the first oil change, while cussing the place that fitted the one prior. I was stuck at the old house 1.5hrs from Town, oil dumped and a stuck filter and no oil filter tool. Had to smash it off with a screwdriver and hammer. I thought what idiot screwed this on so tight? So I just did it hand tight. Few months later I thought I blew a rear main or something, oil everywhere. It was just the filter. Bought the Ryco socket and now use a ratchet. I was used to old Buick V6 ones where hand tight is fine and you can undo them unaided too.
The problem with the LS is that the sump is in the way so you can’t just grab the filter in the guts and reef on it to hand tighten it.

Having said that I’ve always done mine up hand tight and it hasn’t been a problem but I can see that it can be a bit sketchy to do up tight by hand, especially if any oil has gotten onto the housing before installing it.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
The problem with the LS is that the sump is in the way so you can’t just grab the filter in the guts and reef on it to hand tighten it.

Having said that I’ve always done mine up hand tight and it hasn’t been a problem but I can see that it can be a bit sketchy to do up tight by hand, especially if any oil has gotten onto the housing before installing it.
Yes the filter is a little tight, however with strap filter removal tool no issues, mine had provision for 1/2" drive socket
To get the filter on its no real issue
I only hand tightened, although squeezed the living day lights out of it when going on with both hands
The old man always taught me to tighten the oil filter by hand, and have always done this on Holden,VW, Ford, SBC, BBC
although will be dropping trans filter this week and will check for piece of mind
I do take your point

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I need to do the gearbox oil next, parts arrived recently but I need to get some decent jackstands first. Did the oil with the car resting on firewood but too risky for gearbox job. The old days of having the lift are over, sadly.

The last place that did the oil change must have put the filter cap on with an impact because it was a huge effort to get it off.