Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Tesla Model 3 will sell like hotcakes! Even in Australia... Especially with the changes to car import laws and tariffs.

Tesla Model 3

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
That was quick. Last week, CEO Elon Musk warned that Tesla will “take action” against Tesla owners leaving their vehicles at Supercharger stations after charging is over. He said: “Supercharger spots are meant for charging, not parking”.

Today the company took action and introduced a new $0.40 per minute idle fee for the entire Supercharger network.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/16/tesla-supercharger-idle-fees/

I saw this coming... will be a bitch to charge any car. Douche Bags enjoyed to be the only few, the more they sell, the Charging Wars will increase. Can you imagine see Cat Fights over this.

I am not a fan of Tesla, however, I am a fan of the electric car technology. The company is supported at the tax payer's dime (regulation, taxes, grants, etc...). Is not profitable; just another political White Elephant.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's the manufacturing component. Once it's manufactured what about the addition of its useable lifetime? Fuel burned, oil and fluids, consumables, component replacements and all the associated energy and waste costs (financial and environmental) that go with them. Without that data it's not even close to the whole picture

It's not unreasonable either to think that the manufacturing process is in its infancy and will be refined over time. ICE has nearly a century headstart

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Here we are six years on from the first post. How big an improvement has been made in the six years in the development of EV’s?
I’m asking because I know you guys can give short direct answers, so that nuff nuff’s like me can understand:)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Here we are six years on from the first post. How big an improvement has been made in the six years in the development of EV’s?
I’m asking because I know you guys can give short direct answers, so that nuff nuff’s like me can understand:)

Well they are far more available than they used to be. Every major manufacturer has at least one, with plans for either complete conversion in the near future (Jag, Bentley) or just whole product lineups (like VW or BMW).

The fundamental technology hasn't changed much, just the cost and better control systems. So now you can get an entry level EV with reasonable city ranges.
The main issue is charging. Stations are not very plentiful, especially in Aus. Buying a Tesla gets you free access to the excellent supercharger network.

I buy CAR magazine from the UK, and at least half of the content is now EV/PHEV... a bit dull really.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Warning ......... thread dig !! :)

Now Volvo have confirmed what I have believed for a long time ........... Building An EV Produces 70% More Emissions Than ICE, Says Volvo (msn.com)

Not much more to add to that, except I enjoy driving a 'green' V8 ICE, until I get a horse. :D

My favourite thing about the EV green brigade is that some of these green cars are being powered by coal to recharge them

Which brings in the issues for the average person to own a EV, hell, our power supply struggles with every man and their dog running AC in their houses

Imagine everyone plugging in their EV into the grid at 1800

I believe the answer is ethanol, but to supply enough ethanol to "fuel the world" we would need to infringe of land that typically grows food crops

If we dropped, and held the world population by 50% we would be so much better off in relation to the environment and overall sustainability

Sadly, I believe we are well past the tipping point, due to the ever expanding population, and our inherent love of consumerism, the best we can do is slow down the inevitable demise

Or.....to make the future better

images.jpeg-11.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I recently read an article about a vehicle Land Rover had under development.
Hydrogen electric!

Basically hydrogen engine to recharge batteries which in turn run electric motors, and to refill hydrogen tanks takes about the same as a petrol tank.
So more of what we are used to with ICE motors but substantially less climate harm etc.