Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Ok so after 161,000km it has lost up to 11% and can still do up to 360 km.

We would probably take 8 years to cover that distance (161,000km).

Anybody know how much the battery pack is if you do need to replace it? If its expensive enough it would basically eliminate all the savings in servicing costs over an ICE car.

Edit - assuming we travel 20,000km per year and average 11l/100km, and petrol on average is $2/litre it would cost us $4.400 a year in fuel.

Over 8 years that is $35,200 in total fuel costs, and of course it will probably be more as fuel will increase over time.

Even if you had to fork out for a battery pack replacement, you would still be ahead probably even after taking into account electricity costs for recharging.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That's higher than I though it might be (10% initial charge lost or 8 kWh, for those who don't click).

Modern rechargables in phones/cars start with a buffer. So the actual full capacity is say 100 kWh. The system will only let you access 90, and as the battery degrades, the missing 10% is allowed to be accessed. This helps prevent the user from noticing as much of a drop off.

I'd be interested to know if the new fully charged value quoted was claimed by manufacturer, or actual.

From what I saw/read, they did the same test when the vehicle was new so a direct comparison rather than simply quoting manufacturers specs.

11% loss isn't huge, it's not ideal but it also not the end of the world, that car still has plenty of life left in it.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Wonder if motor rewinder trades will come back with the EV uptake.
Something that died off with the throw away society.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Wonder if motor rewinder trades will come back with the EV uptake.
Something that died off with the throw away society.
Maybe but probably not.

The motors and control systems aren’t designed for serviceability as such though they are designed for parts commonality (within a manufacturer) to reduce manufacturing costs. And if I remember correctly, the motors aren’t wound, they use what looks like staples pushed through and clipped together…

Munro has a consultancy that does lots of tear downs of one manufacturers products and writes reports for the contracting manufacturer… He does an interesting comparison of VW and Tesla electric motors and inverters. His videos are insightful.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MunroLive/videos

Sadly todays manufacturing is modern designed obsolescence hiding under the guise of reducing component costs by reducing screws, bolts and such serviceable components. It all means stuff is clip/glue together so they can’t be unclipped/unglued for easy repair which does help in reduced cost of manufacture at yje expense of increasing service cost to the consumer….… And since component parts aren’t sold separately, rather only the whole assemblies or nothing, consumers see it as too costly to fix so junk it and buy another new widget (be it car, tv, fridge, anything really)...

Tesla battery packs are a great example of this. The cover is glued and bolted on and gets damaged removing it so needs lots of panel beating to get it fixed and back on cause Tesla says the packs aren’t serviceable and the cover plate isn’t available as a spare, neither pare the sub packs within… but that’s another vide from a Californian guy who actually repairs the Tesla battery packs. He seems an outlier in the industry and probably fighting for the right to repair.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I'd still be somewhat curious if it could end up being cheaper in some degree or depending on what's required if a "modified scene" could start.
I'd have to read into it more as for which motors they use but DC and AC have different characteristics and if they could be adapted in some way then you can change torque profiles etc.

I can see it being an untapped market really. "Tow packs" for more torque and so on.

Should point out motor rewinding trade isn't dead, just very uncommon due to the throw away society.
Know of plenty of motors that have been rebuilt, but most small ones were never cost effective to do so.
I guess at some stage there will be a transition and it may be cost effective to some degree or time savings degree, could be like the record industry coming back and the old timers being called in to teach it all over again.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Ok so after 161,000km it has lost up to 11% and can still do up to 360 km.

We would probably take 8 years to cover that distance (161,000km).

Anybody know how much the battery pack is if you do need to replace it? If its expensive enough it would basically eliminate all the savings in servicing costs over an ICE car.

Edit - assuming we travel 20,000km per year and average 11l/100km, and petrol on average is $2/litre it would cost us $4.400 a year in fuel.

Over 8 years that is $35,200 in total fuel costs, and of course it will probably be more as fuel will increase over time.

Even if you had to fork out for a battery pack replacement, you would still be ahead probably even after taking into account electricity costs for recharging.
Someone in I think it was Finland blew up his Tesla when he found out the replacement battery was going to cost him about $22,000. His tesla was one of the early ones.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
DC and AC have different characteristics and if they could be adapted in some way then you can change torque profiles etc.
Would be nice to see a mod scene but Tesla motors are already leading edge tech. Old school motor winders may not fully understand it all. In any case changed motor behaviour can be achieved in S/W already though I suspect that the limiting issue is more around battery safety and longevity than motor limitation… Ludicrous mode anyone?

Tesla motors are already effing powerful and their package is scalable in that it’s easier for the manufacturer to simple add more motors than trying to re-engineer the motor. They already have single motor, two, and three motor vehicles IIRC. I don’t think they’ve done a four motor vehicle yet… Battery capacity and cooling is also scalable…