Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low-profile car ramp choices for VF

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Low car = low profile jack

Cannot fit low profile jack under overly low car = drive up on a 2x4 first (bevel the edge at about 30-35°)

Ramps are a PITA, a good trolley jack and 4 heavy duty car stands will serve you much better

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Low car = low profile jack

Cannot fit low profile jack under overly low car = drive up on a 2x4 first (bevel the edge at about 30-35°)

Ramps are a PITA, a good trolley jack and 4 heavy duty car stands will serve you much better

most of us have probably already got that myself i find ramps easier.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Dammit, now I want to fix race-car style air-jacks in the car!!

A mate from school lived in a place which had a concrete slab with about a 75cm high retaining wall at the end of it, you just pushed a car up to the edge & could sit on the ground underneath the retaining-wall & easily get to most stuff you need for maintenance.
In hindsight ... I assume that slab had enough support underneath to safely park a car on it. :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Dammit, now I want to fix race-car style air-jacks in the car!!

A mate from school lived in a place which had a concrete slab with about a 75cm high retaining wall at the end of it, you just pushed a car up to the edge & could sit on the ground underneath the retaining-wall & easily get to most stuff you need for maintenance.
In hindsight ... I assume that slab had enough support underneath to safely park a car on it. :)

my step dad used to own a farm, and he had some massive sleepers and poles that were on the side or a really deep creek, you could just drive out onto that sucker and do whatever you needed to. was like having a hoist that you just drove onto. wish he still had the farm, it was the best.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
most of us have probably already got that myself i find ramps easier.

I'm a creature of habit

If the front of my car is up I'm doing maintenance, if I'm doing maintenance the car typically goes up both ends so I can inspect everything, service stuff and remove the wheels for a good clean

It takes me less than 10 minutes to put the car on 4 stands, I typically haven't even finished my first "I'm working on the car beers"

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
I purchased a bahco low profile floor jack
About $400 if I remember correctly
and some 3 ton jack stands
Takes 10 mins to put up on 4 stands and good to go
Keeps car level too

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I purchased a bahco low profile floor jack
About $400 if I remember correctly
and some 3 ton jack stands
Takes 10 mins to put up on 4 stands and good to go
Keeps car level too
How far down will the jack handle go?

I bought a low profile jack a few years ago. Couldn't get the lifting head under the kframe. The handle wouldn't come down far enough. It was stopping the jack from going under kframe.

If you only wanted to lift the vehicle from the side, it was okay.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Many years ago I took my standard ramps and added an extension, worked well.

View attachment 231955
Yeah got a set of ramps like that(without the extension$) but it’s love hate relationship with them …

Used them on a FWD one time and getting the car up the ramp was no issue. Sadly, reversing the car back off the ramps was much more problematic as one ramp got spat out and thrown forward about a car length as that side of the car dropped to the ground… No damage but a wake up call…

Now i use long seatbelts webbing looped around the bottom rung and run back so they run under the rear wheel as I drive over the ramp... It‘s a bit of a pain but easier than bolting the ramps to the slab.

Maybe it’s time to make new ramps…

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
My ramps are well and truly retired now but word of advice, never, I repeat never ever get my wife to drive up the ramps while you hold them in place and check for clearance. She managed to go straight over the top. I can move pretty quick for a bigger bloke. Now i just run a hoist, best buy ever.

20220111_153816.png