Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low-profile car ramp choices for VF

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Except your Redline has (at least) 245mm wide tyres at the front.
So do what I do - install a hoist!
Except it's only a standard garage & I installed it as asymmetrical, the end-result being that I can't swing the arms past the front wheels in order to get to the VF's jacking-points - the tyres get in the way!!

*rageface.jpg*

a hoist, yes that'd be nice, lol.

the supercraps ones are wide enough just too steep!

VFCalais2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V6 MY17, VX Calais V6 2000
These are only 220mm wide with max tyre width of 225mm.

What width tyres are you running on your cars ?
Hi VS 5.0,

My tyres are 235 so I guess that rules that option out then :(

One of the disappointing that these cars seem to have been designed only to be serviced with dealers/workshops who have a hoist. Having to remove engine covers each time isn't ideal.

Anyway, I'll see how I can work around this. Might have to install a service pit in the garage :p

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi VS 5.0,

My tyres are 235 so I guess that rules that option out then :(

One of the disappointing that these cars seem to have been designed only to be serviced with dealers/workshops who have a hoist. Having to remove engine covers each time isn't ideal.

Anyway, I'll see how I can work around this. Might have to install a service pit in the garage :p

There are wider ramps but not sure on the angles for clearance.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi everyone :)

I'm looking at purchasing a set of low profile car ramps to do the servicing on my VF Calais and my father's VF SV6. I saw these ramps listed on Repco wesbite.

View attachment 231948
https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-e...-1400kg-made-in-australia-crtp1400/p/A5516637

Just wondering if anyone else has used these on a VF without any clearance issues.

Know there are cheaper plastic ones available but these are steel and made in Australia. If we don't support local manufacture we'll lose it like we did with Holden.

Cheers ;)
Stanfreds website gives you more detail on the ramp rung heights. PDF at the bottom of the page.

https://www.stanfred.com.au/product-detail.php?pid=77

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There are wider ramps but not sure on the angles for clearance.
There are probably situations where the ramps work better ... but I always found that all the trepidation, being really careful, lining stuff up & going really slowly etc etc ... all that stuff made putting a car on ramps not really any faster than using a big trolley-jack like the relatively inexpensive Costco aluminium one & using a pair of jack-stands under the jacking points. Sometimes you need odd-shaped solid rubber pads or something like that to avoid any damage.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Trouble is you really need a low profile jack. To get my jack under I have to rock the ute while pushing the jack in with my foot. I'm getting a $40 set of low profile plastic ramps just so I don't have to fork out for a new floor jack.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hey @losh1971, SuperCheap has these & they're in-stock in quite a few locations around Sydney.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/toolpro-toolpro-car-ramp-single-1000kg/574318.html
I chose Chatswood as that's closest to me ... unsure where you are, but it gives me the 4 next closest stores to Chatwood that has them ... Brookvale, Bondi Junction, North Narrabeen, Ashfield.

They may not be low profile enough, but they're wide enough for a standard Calais, and if they have them in-stock near you, you may be able to test them.

Oh here's the current Costco jack, it's bigger capacity than mine but I think lower profile (but also $300 now - sure mine was ~$160):
https://www.costco.com.au/Automotiv...n-Low-Profile-Steel-Floor-Jack-2000kg/p/49927

Last edited:

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.

I'm looking at purchasing a set of low profile car ramps to do the servicing on my VF Calais and my father's VF SV6. I saw these ramps listed on Repco wesbite.

View attachment 231948
https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-e...-1400kg-made-in-australia-crtp1400/p/A5516637

Just wondering if anyone else has used these on a VF without any clearance issues.

Know there are cheaper plastic ones available but these are steel and made in Australia. If we don't support local manufacture we'll lose it like we did with Holden.

Cheers ;)
You need "Race Ramps " ......they are an American Product and are used by the the SS chevy V8's over there

View attachment 231948

Cheers ;)
You need "Race Ramps" they are an American Product and used by most of the SS chevy V8's ( Holden's imported )over there.....I have a set bought on the 13th September 2016 from Race Ramps, 28 Rose Street, Sandringham. 3191. Victoria.
Email:- info@raceramps,com.au
Ph:- 03 9722 2703.

They are solid as a brick and come in 2 parts to be joined in the middle they are as smooth as silk to drive up on....not like the Repco ones where you go bump bump over the angle sections.
They fit perfically under my VE Ute and VF Commodore. ( See Photo below. )
Price :- $634.31 ( 2016 Prices ) includes 2 wheel chocks for the rear wheels.

Do not worry about the prices when they charge $300 for a service these days.

I would not buy at the moment with the state of the nation in turmoil.....lock downs, covid, jabs, staff, imports etc.etc.....the world may end.

Attachments

• Scan_20220111.jpg
    Scan_20220111.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 143

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You need "Race Ramps " ......they are an American Product and are used by the the SS chevy V8's over there

You need "Race Ramps" they are an American Product and used by most of the SS chevy V8's ( Holden's imported )over there.....I have a set bought on the 13th September 2016 from Race Ramps, 28 Rose Street, Sandringham. 3191. Victoria.
Email:- info@raceramps,com.au
Ph:- 03 9722 2703.

They are solid as a brick and come in 2 parts to be joined in the middle they are as smooth as silk to drive up on....not like the Repco ones where you go bump bump over the angle sections.
They fit perfically under my VE Ute and VF Commodore. ( See Photo below. )
Price :- $634.31 ( 2016 Prices ) includes 2 wheel chocks for the rear wheels.

Do not worry about the prices when they charge $300 for a service these days.

I would not buy at the moment with the state of the nation in turmoil.....lock downs, covid, jabs, staff, imports etc.etc.....the world may end.

Like these.....https://www.autonovus.com.au/product/56-race-ramps/