Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ever get strange calls on your landline?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
What's this landline thing you speak of?
It is the olde name for the national telephone system that used to work well despite rain, floods, fires, storms and electricity failures.

Now, for us olde folks, it is the name for the electronic phone thingy that is connected to a plastic box thingy with a little green light that shows you are connected to world via the computer electrons that the Gubbermint calls the NBN. This does not work during rain, floods, fires, storms and electricity failures.
As I pay for the electronic video picture machine that I can see what I am writing now , it doesn't cost me anymore $$$ to have it. But it does cost twice now as much as it did before I had such modern technology

I hope that this very technical explanation is to your understanding. :)

PS ....... my call for today was from 08 6186 7544, which I didn't answer, but apparently it could have been from Amazon telling me that I have to pay either $99 or $199 for something that I didn't order. Would that be a scam ?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It is the olde name for the national telephone system that used to work well despite rain, floods, fires, storms and electricity failures.

Now, for us olde folks, it is the name for the electronic phone thingy that is connected to a plastic box thingy with a little green light that shows you are connected to world via the computer electrons that the Gubbermint calls the NBN. This does not work during rain, floods, fires, storms and electricity failures.
As I pay for the electronic video picture machine that I can see what I am writing now , it doesn't cost me anymore $$$ to have it. But it does cost twice now as much as it did before I had such modern technology

I hope that this very technical explanation is to your understanding. :)

If it makes you feel any better I used a rotary phone growing up. You know they can send spoken words over the air using science now, more like witchcraft!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When I was a kid, our (landline) phone was in its own little room, the handset had a handle that you wound up, and a cone shaped receiver. When you wound the handle, a person would answer and ask what number you needed, and then they would plug you in to the requested number.
Now that was personal service.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
When I was a kid, our (landline) phone was in its own little room, the handset had a handle that you wound up, and a cone shaped receiver. When you wound the handle, a person would answer and ask what number you needed, and then they would plug you in to the requested number.
Now that was personal service.
The very first days of surveillance. My gran worked in an exchange, she was a nosy gossip but we loved the stories at a Sunday roast

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
When a recording you made is answered by another recording, pretty sure it's a scam...

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Does any of us oldies remember using a payphone, if say the number (as an example) was 444444 then you took the handpiece off and tapped six time on the top of the phone, pause for a second or two then repeat five times and therefore got a free call.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
or is it landline shore to ship ?