Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden onboard data capture of vehicle speed ?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The bigger issue isn’t access to data logging within your vehicle when a fatality has occurred.

The bigger issue is all the cameras lining out roads and the database amassed and who can access it and for what purpose i5 can be used…

Police use NPRS to amass huge amounts of data (rego, time, location, speed) for many hundreds of cars per hour, for the whole shift… Supposedly they check the NPR data against stolen and unregistered vehicle lists, vehicles registered to drivers with suspended or cancelled licenses, etc… but they never delete the data and don’t talk about what they can do with the retained data that could be years old…

A person driving like an idiot, especially if he kills someone deserves everything the law can throw at him… and probable cause would cover police accessing the crashed vehicles systems.

Its these millions of innocents going about their lives in privacy who could have NPRS data trawled and thus their privacy goes out the window we should be up in arms about… such needs much more control so that police can’t build such databases from innocent private travels and trawl them years later… once the plate is checked against the list and no match found, then the data should be tossed… today that’s not the case as I understand… :(

Don't get me started on connected vehicles :mad:

NZ police are very guilty of this. They have access to 3rd party surveillance camera systems who run 1000's of camera's around NZ and aren't held to the same scrutiny as the NZ police when it comes to privacy and storage of information.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The bigger issue isn’t access to data logging within your vehicle when a fatality has occurred.

The bigger issue is all the cameras lining out roads and the database amassed and who can access it and for what purpose i5 can be used…

Police use NPRS to amass huge amounts of data (rego, time, location, speed) for many hundreds of cars per hour, for the whole shift…
In Victoria, it's not just the police that have NPR cameras...
Just about every government and local council entity can have an NPR camera fitted and uploading 'data' in real time.

Your government likes to keep track of you....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Here you go! :p

He’s my hero and one who has been pushing right to repair laws in California for years… even called the governors pooch screw amendment that in essence neutered the law…

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
He’s my hero and one who has been pushing right to repair laws in California for years… even called the governors pooch screw amendment that in essence neutered the law…
Making a car that can drive itself to the repo yard is some world class shitfuckery. You can be sure that will be here in the future. Remember folks you’ll own nothing and be happy!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Car yards here fit immobilizers to cars, dont make your repayments and they disable your car!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Making a car that can drive itself to the repo yard is some world class shitfuckery. You can be sure that will be here in the future. Remember folks you’ll own nothing and be happy!

Is it really any different to old mate rocking up with a flat bed ?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it really any different to old mate rocking up with a flat bed ?
Well yes it is. They have to pay old mate to rock up with a flatbed so there’s a decent incentive to make sure it’s a justified repo.

If the car drives itself to the repo yard plenty of corporate “oops our systems didnt work correctly” shitfuckery can occur at zero cost to the company. That’s not to mention the field day hackers will have when they figure out how to get into the system, and they will.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It won't be long before you have to pay a subscription to drive your new car. Many manufacturers are already doing it with upgraded features in the car so it's only a matter of time before they do it to the whole car.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It won't be long before you have to pay a subscription to drive your new car. Many manufacturers are already doing it with upgraded features in the car so it's only a matter of time before they do it to the whole car.
Guess I'll be keeping my utes as long as possible...