Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator light comes on and off

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You also said you have a Autel,
So you don’t use this for your readings/findings ?,
I find that hard to believe,

I have the VE Manual that another member kindly provided the link some years ago, and he is a well known member.
And have read the sections of it when I needed to for the appropriate repairs.

So at 68 you are are a know it all,
One would think you would enjoy your final years of retirement and not try to be a smarta$$ in front of all the other JC members,

Just accept that not every VE will be running at the same specifications,
Due to underlying issues,
The GM/Holden specs are good for a guide,
But the information is now 17 years old,
And components fail and wear out, and some aftermarket items need to be purchased which are not to exactly GM/Holden Spec.

So not every VE will be exactly as the book says,
So you need to sit back and accept our cars are not 100% perfect, like you wish to make out they are/can be/should be.

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
You also said you have a Autel,
So you don’t use this for your readings/findings ?,
I find that hard to believe,

I have the VE Manual that another member kindly provided the link some years ago, and he is a well known member.
And have read the sections of it when I needed to for the appropriate repairs.

So at 68 you are are a know it all,
One would think you would enjoy your final years of retirement and not try to be a smarta$$ in front of all the other JC members,

Just accept that not every VE will be running at the same specifications,
Due to underlying issues,
The GM/Holden specs are good for a guide,
But the information is now 17 years old,
And components fail and wear out, and some aftermarket items need to be purchased which are not to exactly GM/Holden Spec.

So not every VE will be exactly as the book says,
So you need to sit back and accept our cars are not 100% perfect, like you wish to make out they are/can be/should be.
Oh my god. Listen to it I have a high end scan tool and it's not a Autel (other brands exist)
What's your problem are you just used to everyone agreeing with you and when someone says you are wrong you don't like it.
Get over it and you should accept the fact that you are telling people that alternators don't go over 14.7 when once again you are just plain wrong.
You think I am a smarta$$ because I pointed out that you are giving out false information and making people believe they have a fault when they don't. His alternator saying 15.2v is not faulty but your advice that it should not go over 14.7 is.
Has absolutely nothing to do with the age, wear & tear or aftermarket parts like you want people to believe it's just very simple his second hand alternator is working as the specs say it should but you know better than GM & Holden.
I don't care if you have been a member for 20 years or who gave you the manual it's got nothing at all to do with how long you have been here or how much good information you have given out in the past this is just about this thread and the OP's second hand alternator and your advice that it is not working correctly because you say it should not go over 14.7 based on your observations on your alternator and your Autel scan device.
I am pointing out that your information is incorrect and the OP and any other JC member reading this should know that what you stated as fact is incorrect and that is all there is to it.
GM & Holden specs quite clearly show your statement is incorrect and if that is being a smarta$$ then I am as guilty as hell but make no mistake I would rather be a smarta$$ and save someone from wasting money getting something tested and being told it's working fine and within spec but only got it tested based on false information being posted by a long term member of JC.
Don't like it that is your problem not mine.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s so funny,

What ever !
Say what you like,
DILLIGAF.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As per OEM specs, max voltage for the VE/VF charging system is 15.2 volts.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Give or take manufacturing tolerances within all the bits that measure and influence voltage levels.

Me, I still think VE/VF should have had a service mode within MyLink so an owner could specify battery type and specs as well as SOC whenever the battery is replaced (cause I hate going to a dealer).

Such seems like a better situation than having the cars system determine the SOC over days while potentially using a less than optimum charge mode and thus change voltage…

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s is correct, the Max voltage,

Based on the idling charge rate,
in which I originally stated,
I have seen a number VE’s charging at 14.3 > 14.7 at which I have read are within spec.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
1694932004353.jpeg
1694932017065.jpeg
1694932028083.jpeg
1694932038299.jpeg
1694932053954.jpeg
1694932067735.jpeg
1694932079328.jpeg
1694932092387.jpeg

before scan comments

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So in engineering mode, the OP stated the battery is showing 3.5%, yet prior to alternator replacement, the battery was showing 75%....

So does this mean the alternator is over charging the battery , perhaps leading to premature battery failure.

Information gotten from post #94...

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
So in engineering mode, the OP stated the battery is showing 3.5%, yet prior to alternator replacement, the battery was showing 75%....

So does this mean the alternator is over charging the battery , perhaps leading to premature battery failure.

Maybe his battery is badly sulphated from having a dud alternator and is already damaged and the new alternator and the feedback is correct now. Time will tell when the OP returns and lets us know how he is getting on with the alternator and battery.
I would not be surprised if his battery has a shorter life now due to the bad alternator as we don't know really how long it was playing up.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

It might be that, or (if you have a read of the information posted by @lout ), the system takes 8 hours of ‘off’ time to re-determine the state of charge of the battery. So the 3.5% reading might be the initial reading before the system has had sufficient time to re-determine a more accurate result?

But, yes, chronic undercharging of the battery won’t be good for the battery. I don’t suspect that over-charging was the issue in this case.

(Oh, and thanks for providing the post # - definitely helpful). :)

Last edited: