Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No that is totally incorrect.
An apprentice is there to work by a different set of rules.

It is do as I say and not what I do, if they can't handle that then they can leave.
It's not about being hoiler than others, it's the chain of command in the business, the apprentices are at the bottom, then it's the tradesmen, then the manager and then the owner.
That is the way it is, if you think it should be another way, then start your own construction business and show the millions of trademen around the world how they have been doing it wrong, and their fathers, and their fathers fathers ect.

Like I said dissenting voices from the outside, coming from people that couldn't move sixteen tons if their life depended on it, is not what is going to help with apprentices being hired.

How about you try this thing where you listen to people with first-hand experience.
Apprentices can't teach themselves.

To be taught properly, the tradesman must observe what the apprentice is doing and guide the apprentice to do the job properly

To do this, the tradesman must be focused solely on what they are doing, not have their head stuck in the phone...

I would love you to work with me...Guaranteed, you'd be gone in half a day, swearing and cursing me as you're shown the gate

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
So, I suspect, the modus operandi for a builder becomes… set up a company, build a few houses, close company and close off ongoing liability. Set up new company, …and repeat as often as needed.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. And I dare say, there are few builders who can actually do that.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
There is shite money and there is good money.

Despite me making the comment about the rate, it's not about the hourly rate with me...It's the working conditions....I have jumped ship to earn less money because of the tossbag bosses.....

I live by the mantra...Money can't buy happiness.....
I live by that saying 'how many sad Ferrari owners do you know?' hahaha

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Money can't buy you happiness but it can by you things that make you happy.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I live by that saying 'how many sad Ferrari owners do you know?' hahaha

None, but I am happy with what I have and how hard I worked, scraped and scrounged to get what I have.

Oh and I'd be too scared to drive anything so nice round, for fear some knobjockey will run into it.....

Would you drive a Ferrari on dirt roads?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I have bought things that make me happy.... Just so happens my taste buds for happiness aren't of the expensive variety;)

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
They'll tell you all sorts of crap like "housing supply is the problem". Yes, but there's an underlying issue at play too, which is greed. Then you have an over demand for qualified tradies. Why? Because idiots want their children to be the next Elon Musk rather than Joe the bricklayer. Brikies I know refuse to work. "It's too hard on the body", they say. Sorry moron, ever worked in a factory lifting boxes non-stop for 10 hours a day? This is also physically demanding work, but people still do it. What's more, they do it for $28/hr. What's the going rate for laying a brick nowadays - $3?? These clowns want to take home $3,000+ a week, or they won't do it. That's all great, but don't you dare call someone else "lazy" for not wanting to be your labourer.
I don't wish to insult bricklayers here. I know there are a few on Just Commodores who work hard making an honest living, but some of your colleagues in the industry are giving you a bad name. I know some who drive around in their $100,000 4WD Mercedes while claiming they can't afford to pay their labourers a fair rate. Admittedly these are the ones who've been doing it for 20+ years, however they're also the same tradies who refuse to take on the work currently in demand.
I went from laying bricks to lifting heavy boxes all day. I know which job was easier. And I know which job f@#ked me up.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
At least Labor is offering fee free TAFE places to encourage people into trades.
That’s how I got to earn my City and Guilds of London Institute Certificate In Bricklaying. Did three years at the local Tech School in Liverpool from the age of 25 to 28. Used to go in and do extra days. Passed with distinction. Got me a ticket to Australia.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

… for a short time.

The Ancient Greek philosophers studied happiness and the connection between wealth and happiness. It’s definitely worth reading up on if anyone is interested (I suggest ‘The Consolations of Philosophy‘ by Alain de Botton). Apparently, once you have enough wealth to cover your basic needs, any further wealth doesn’t increase happiness longterm. There is a short term change in happiness if money increases or decreases, but the happiness level returns to the previous level (providing your basic needs are met).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Boxes suck, boxes full of books suck more and then customers complain the boxes are to heavy but the boss won't buy smaller boxes.

We measured through put by the ton and on a bad day most of that tonnage was moved my hand but when **** went right it was mostly done by machine.