Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
You said it yourself you should know all about detailing a car but going by other responses I think it's fairly clear what the correct answer is and who knows what they are talking about.

None of us are pro's at what we do, me personally being that I like to keep my car clean I will spend a huge amount of time on it and as I've already said I will easily spend a day doing it top to bottom, inside and out..

Thank you again for the info Clair, very much appreciated :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
i have been detailing cars for awile now i should know all about detailing a car i have been detailing private and car yard cars i done work for subaru bmw car yards all around the city (melbourne) and major auctions and never in my life have i seen anyone take 5 hours to detail a car

I've seen how people like you detail cars at these places, washing a car and vaccuming a car isnt DETAILING a car.

It takes me 2-3 days to fully detail my car, usually a day for engine bay and interior then 2 days to do the multiple coats of polish etc.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Darren,

I got a discount for being a member of the club I belong to, but I understand it's less than $200 for the service I got. I will pm you the Company that did it as I understand that we don't allow advertising on here.

I highly recommend this Company and if anyone else is interested in having a very professional job done on their car, feel free to pm me and ask.

C.
You are allowed to post the company within the thread, you just cant use them in your sig :)

Darren, not slow, i just like perfection.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
You are allowed to post the company within the thread, you just cant use them in your sig :)

Darren, not slow, i just like perfection.
LOL!! Join the club, I spent an hour and a half the other night polishing my wheels on a car I can't drive :rofl:

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I don't do the whole car everytime I wash it. Basically a polish one wash, then a full interior clean the next one etc. Then keep rotating the bigger jobs every other wash.

The inside of the ute tray is a pigsty and I should clean that more often..... Anyone got any tips for cleaning highly static clinging ute liners?? Hosing out works to an extent but the dirt just sticks because of the way the tray sits.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
i have been detailing cars for awile now i should know all about detailing a car i have been detailing private and car yard cars i done work for subaru bmw car yards all around the city (melbourne) and major auctions and never in my life have i seen anyone take 5 hours to detail a car

I've seen some of the work that most card yard detailers do. Was at a prominant Sydney car yard on the Hume hwy 2 weeks ago and every black and dark coloured car had rotary buffing marks and marring right throughout the paint work. We're talking about near new cars too. These cars were obviously detailed with the wrong pads and the wrong polishing compound. Can you give us all a run down of the steps you take to detail a car? GIve us a list of all the products including sponges, pads, cloths, polishing compound, how you apply the polish and buff it off, what about wax and how do you apply that?

It takes me 2-3 days to fully detail my car, usually a day for engine bay and interior then 2 days to do the multiple coats of polish etc.

It took me 8 hours a months ago to detail my wifes '91 laser. That included washing, clay bar, applying a cleaner polish, a less abrassive cleaner polish, a pure polish and finally a sealant. Used 3 different buffing pads ranging from light cutting to finishing pad and done with a GMC orbital. I didn't even get to the interior but the outside was a blinding white

Driven By Shine

Reaction score
Website
www.drivenbyshine.com.au
Members Ride
VY Wagon on 20's
Hey scotter thanks for the kind words once again.

Um does it mean Im doing something wrong when I spend hours on just the bonnet

turning this solid black A class from this

A_Class_024.jpg

into this

A_Class_3_006internet.jpg

A_Class_040.jpg

A_Class_039.jpg

Each to there own I suppose

It takes about 3-4 hours just to layer 3 coats of Z2pro

Then again I get calls daily from the general public asking me to detail there cars, when I ask what they percieve as a detail.......it fits into my price list as a "EXECUTIVE WASH" meaning wash and vac

Chris

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Chris, very nice work! Was that done with a rotary or orbital or both? Also whats your choice of pads?

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
bloody hell, nice work DBS. very schmick. is there any tips you can give us to get a result along those lines, without taking it to a professional detailer? i'm very picky about mine, as i'm sure everyone else is, and i hate seeing those sorta imperfections.
i take a good 5-6 hours on mine, when mum isn't breathing down my neck to hurry up, and it's a good way to put off homework on the weekends. lol

i have a couple of questions guys:

1. what is the best method to remove streaks and stuff from windows? i have tried metho, armor all window cleaner, windex, just bought a can of crc window cleaner yesterday, yet to use it, but my mate tried it on mine, and i swear it's the only thing that works.

2. bearing in mind i have heard armor all protectant can dry and ruin the interior, what would be a suitable replacement to get it clean and shiny, without those 'side effects'?

3. are the engine cleaners at commercial DIY car washes safe to use? if so, are there any precautions to take, ie any electrical to watch for?

and finally, what i the best product for cleaning AND protecting leather? i have tried a few and found the meguiars foam to be the best. any other suggestions?

thanks in advance guys n gals