Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the Best Engine oil for my VT?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
penrite penrite penrite haha yeh the only oil i use simply because its one of the best out there for the price and will keep your engine alive for longer :p

ryan

Ryan, have you got anything with which to back that up, or is that just the stuff on the back of the container/brochure.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Ryan, have you got anything with which to back that up, or is that just the stuff on the back of the container/brochure.

mate what i have is feedback from numerous people in the industry including mechanics and drag racers as well as some of the customers that come into the store. most that i have talked to say that in their opinion penrite is one of the best out there up with mobil and the like in terms of quality and engine protection benefits. Also with the company being australian owned it makes the decision easy over the other oil giants such as castrol/bp or shell. :thumbsup:

but mate its personal opinion i believe that this oil is great ive been running penrite oils in my car for over 2 yrs now with absolutely no probs and i will continue to use them in the future.

as for spending $20 on oil u get wat u pay for, in this bracket your getting an oil that has a basic makeup and is fully mineral based. spending a bit more and getting an oil that has some sythenic compunds in it is goin to give u better protection on startup which is where most of the engine wear happens because sythetic oils are a lot stickier than mineral based oils. ;)

but then again it depends wat ur running it in...puting $20 oil in a older car would be fine but then puttin it in a brand new car would not be adviseable.
but basically it all comes down to wat u wana spend and do u wana get the most out of ur engine, interms of performance and life.

hope that clears things up :p
ryan

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Well, just scored a good buy today, 5l Valvoline Premium sae 20/50 SJ/CF, $12 on special. ......and what does my good owners book from the General say to use in the engine?, gives a choice of numerous brews, one of which is 20/50 SH/SJ (lesser spec than SJ/CF)....Now, surely the General knows what they are talking about, well you would think so!!

...OH, and I purchased a years supply.

Pablo

Last edited:

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
mate what i have is feedback from numerous people in the industry including mechanics and drag racers as well as some of the customers that come into the store. most that i have talked to say that in their opinion penrite is one of the best out there up with mobil and the like in terms of quality and engine protection benefits. Also with the company being australian owned it makes the decision easy over the other oil giants such as castrol/bp or shell. :thumbsup:

but mate its personal opinion i believe that this oil is great ive been running penrite oils in my car for over 2 yrs now with absolutely no probs and i will continue to use them in the future.

as for spending $20 on oil u get wat u pay for, in this bracket your getting an oil that has a basic makeup and is fully mineral based. spending a bit more and getting an oil that has some sythenic compunds in it is goin to give u better protection on startup which is where most of the engine wear happens because sythetic oils are a lot stickier than mineral based oils. ;)

but then again it depends wat ur running it in...puting $20 oil in a older car would be fine but then puttin it in a brand new car would not be adviseable.
but basically it all comes down to wat u wana spend and do u wana get the most out of ur engine, interms of performance and life.

hope that clears things up :p
ryan

Ok Ryan, you are simply recommending it based on nothing but hearsay and your opinion, that's okay, just as long as we are clear about that.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I have been using this in my VT Valvoline SynGard 10W/40..

I haven't drove it much but in even that small amount of time it's been really great, No slapping tapping ticking.. Very quite running motor.
I actually was recommended this oil from a BA XR6 owner, He tried many others and they made the motor sound tick for 10-15 seconds on start ups, Went to this oil and was very impressed it stopped ticking.
My Motor has got 147,999km.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
Yes, there is some truth in that, but the old adage the sellers of the oils are relying on is " a fool and their money are easily separated".

By the sounds of it, you've already read what I think of the issue, so I want bore your with any repetitions.

There is no conclusive evidence that using a boutique oil will significantly increase the engine life in a low stress motor, such as a typical comm, or be an economical choice if it did.

Its a little like feeding your dog the most expensive dog food, sure the more expensive food is better, but providing the cheaper food you give you dog is an acceptable quality and you actually feed the dog, your dog will be just as healthy.

Some more food for thought, Im in the process of getting rid of three thirty year old cars......the motors are all fine....its the rest of them that isnt so good......and they certainly didnt get anything other than the basic oil.......and the basic oil 30 years ago isnt as good was what we have today either.

so what you're basically getting at is, if we just fed you some cabbage and maybe a couple of multi vitamins for the rest of your life, you'd lead just as happy and fulfilling life as you do today?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Hmm, there was always the risk that some nut would to make something out of the analogy I used............most people get the idea........
yes Id live just as long(maybe longer) if I ate bread, cabbage, porridge multivitamins etc ....rather than my usual diet of caviare...
perhaps I should put a tv infront of the car it while its parked so it doesnt get bored.........

Last edited:

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Well, just scored a good buy today, 5l Valvoline Premium sae 20/50 SJ/CF, $12 on special. ......and what does my good owners book from the General say to use in the engine?, gives a choice of numerous brews, one of which is 20/50 SH/SJ (lesser spec than SJ/CF)....Now, surely the General knows what they are talking about, well you would think so!!

...OH, and I purchased a years supply.

Pablo

the specifications outlined in the owners manual are the minimum grades that should be used...now at $12 that is extremely cheap considering we sell it at work for $19 so youve definitely got urself a bargain there. :thumbsup:
but wen you consider that the oil is an SJ grade and available on the market for not much more is SM grade oil its considerably lower quality than other oil floating around...

but we could go on about this all day and the fact is if YOUR happy with the performance of the oil than thats all that matters....but if u start developing ticking noises then yeh u need to start spending more money and gettin a thinner oil.

Commsirac: everything 2day is based around opinions unless you work for penrite or the like and actually do comparisions with other oils you wouldnt no which is better or not...basically if we had a rep come out from castrol they would say their product is best and the same with valvoline they would to, but the fact is the more people that recommend something to you the more youve gotta say they must have sumthing good goin on here for lots of people to be giving you great feedback on it...;)

cheers
ryan

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
I have been using this in my VT Valvoline SynGard 10W/40..

I haven't drove it much but in even that small amount of time it's been really great, No slapping tapping ticking.. Very quite running motor.
I actually was recommended this oil from a BA XR6 owner, He tried many others and they made the motor sound tick for 10-15 seconds on start ups, Went to this oil and was very impressed it stopped ticking.
My Motor has got 147,999km.

thinner oil and synthetic oil=gets round engine quicker=stops engine ticking which shows the results of better protection :p

this is a classic example of using the wrong oil :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
The whole point that I am making is, that the more expensive oils ARE probably better than the cheaper ones on the market, BUT, for the time most people own there cars, 2, maybe 3 or 4 years, and travel between 30,000 to, say 70,000 K's, the engine is not going to suffer any detremental side effects by using a cheaper oil, I would go as far as saying you could get away with NOT even changing the oil at all, just top it up as required.
If I were to get rid of my Commy tomorrow, can any body tell me what benefits I would have if I had been using an expensive product for the last 7 years?
Expensive oil is like a placebo ...(sugar pill), if you think it is doing you good, use it, but you DON'T need it!

Pablo