Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is the Best Engine oil for my VT?

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
The whole point that I am making is, that the more expensive oils ARE probably better than the cheaper ones on the market, BUT, for the time most people own there cars, 2, maybe 3 or 4 years, and travel between 30,000 to, say 70,000 K's, the engine is not going to suffer any detremental side effects by using a cheaper oil, I would go as far as saying you could get away with NOT even changing the oil at all, just top it up as required.
If I were to get rid of my Commy tomorrow, can any body tell me what benefits I would have if I had been using an expensive product for the last 7 years?
Expensive oil is like a placebo ...(sugar pill), if you think it is doing you good, use it, but you DON'T need it!

Pablo

yeh i no wat ur saying mate ;)

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
but the fact is the more people that recommend something to you the more youve gotta say they must have sumthing good goin on here for lots of people to be giving you great feedback on it...;)

Some of us figure it is just clever product placement that is used by some companies. ie Only sell it in an auto parts store, sell a high viscosity version (unsuitable for passenger cars) that only racers and dragsters will appreciate and all of a sudden you have a myth that its the best oil because X, Y and Z use it.

I dont recommend any body should use a particular brand of oil, simply because I dont know which is better/believe they all do a reasonable job anyway.......but I do have one brand which I wouldnt personally use.....guess which(pm me if you want details)

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
thinner oil and synthetic oil=gets round engine quicker=stops engine ticking which shows the results of better protection :p

this is a classic example of using the wrong oil :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan
He did stop using HPR-15 and moved to this oil.

Thinner oils warm the engine slower because of the less friction on parts.
I'm using thinner oil in the VP 15w.. Still ticks on start up the same as it did with a thicker oil.
The best example was a guy with a Gen3 here who used a oil that made his car tick and slap and cold and warm temps. Once changed he had no issues.

But how is it the wrong oil?.

He didn't choose it to stop ticking only, It choose it again and again because it was the best he had used in all driving conditions.
And the My VT didn't tick before the oil change.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok, just went down to supercheap and bought a valvoline oil filter and some Penrite HPR5. which is rated at 5-40
Is this oil ok to use in my car?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Some of us figure it is just clever product placement that is used by some companies. ie Only sell it in an auto parts store, sell a high viscosity version (unsuitable for passenger cars) that only racers and dragsters will appreciate and all of a sudden you have a myth that its the best oil because X, Y and Z use it.

I dont recommend any body should use a particular brand of oil, simply because I dont know which is better/believe they all do a reasonable job anyway.......but I do have one brand which I wouldnt personally use.....guess which(pm me if you want details)

Word of mouth does say a lot. I know a lot of people involved in motorsport and a poo load of them use Penrite. I've tried heaps of different oils in my VX and NOTHING gets it running as beautifully as Penrite Gas 10.

A lot of workshops are now changing their oils to Penrite, instead of the usual big conglomerates.

As for daily's, my mum has a BA XR8 which is still under new car warranty and the Ford dealer doesn't mind us supplying him with Penrite at all. He told me on the hush that he thinks its much better than the Castrol they use.

It's all a matter of opinion though and as we studied in marketing, no-one knows what quality is for most products.

Most people will say that the product in the supermarket at eye level with the prettier label is much better quality than the Homebrand equivalent, yet they would most likely not even notice the difference is you changed packages.

If you can find something that works awesomely for your car without breaking the budget,awesome. Stick to it.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Ok, just went down to supercheap and bought a valvoline oil filter and some Penrite HPR5. which is rated at 5-40

Well, heffer- slayer, you are on your way, happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Pablo

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport

only thing i was guna say was i have been told by numerous people on this site not to use a oil less that a 10w rate as anythinner may induce oil leaks...i would probably stick with the 10w rating ie the HPR 10 just to be on the safe side :p

oh and if u do take it back and want a better quality oil filter see if ur store has any of the pureone filters left...they are a higher flow higher filtration filter and the valvoline ones the part number ur after is PL10111 :thumbsup:

cheers
ryan

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
only thing i was guna say was i have been told by numerous people on this site not to use a oil less that a 10w rate as anythinner may induce oil leaks...i would probably stick with the 10w rating ie the HPR 10 just to be on the safe side :p

Sounds like a misunderstanding of the viscosity ratings to me. Its the second number that will determine how thin the oil is when the engine is at running temperature. If the oils are rated properly a 5W/50 oil should be no more likely to leak than a 20W/50 at operating temperature. At low temps(say 20C)the 5W/50 oil would be thinner than the 20W/50 oil, but still about six-eight times thicker than either oil would be at 100C. Unless the engine is very prone to leaking when the engine is cold, because of gaps between gaskets getting larger etc, than I cant see there is any credibility to the claim.
There is some grey area in the ratings though, for example at 50C, the viscosity of the oil could be anywhere between the lower and higher figure.

It may well have something to do with synthetic and mineral oils affects on gaskets, syn oils typically being used to achieve lower W ratings.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
Sounds like a misunderstanding of the viscosity ratings to me. Its the second number that will determine how thin the oil is when the engine is at running temperature. If the oils are rated properly a 5W/50 oil should be no more likely to leak than a 20W/50 at operating temperature. At low temps(say 20C)the 5W/50 oil would be thinner than the 20W/50 oil, but still about six-eight times thicker than either oil would be at 100C. Unless the engine is very prone to leaking when the engine is cold, because of gaps between gaskets getting larger etc, than I cant see there is any credibility to the claim.
There is some grey area in the ratings though, for example at 50C, the viscosity of the oil could be anywhere between the lower and higher figure.

It may well have something to do with synthetic and mineral oils affects on gaskets, syn oils typically being used to achieve lower W ratings.

i was meaning at cold not operating temperature, hence why i was only talking about the w rating...on a new ecotec of course u would know the condition of the gaskets as they are new on one that has done 150000km and had numerous oil changes you wouldnt have a clue wat condition the gaskets anywhere in the car would be in or the rings for that matter...recommending an oil to thin on an older car could mean that the car uses oil and or leaks it...so as i said before i would use the HPR10 over the HPR5 in your car...thats my advice :p

and there is definitely no misunderstandings of viscosity ratings here mate

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
i was meaning at cold not operating temperature, hence why i was only talking about the w rating...on a new ecotec of course u would know the condition of the gaskets as they are new on one that has done 150000km and had numerous oil changes you wouldnt have a clue wat condition the gaskets anywhere in the car would be in or the rings for that matter...recommending an oil to thin on an older car could mean that the car uses oil and or leaks it...so as i said before i would use the HPR10 over the HPR5 in your car...thats my advice :p

and there is definitely no misunderstandings of viscosity ratings here mate

Whilst you may understand the viscosity ratings, the people that have made these claims possibly do not.

As I said, would be some very extreme circumstances in gasket behaviour that could create leaks only when the motor is cold, as the oil in even a cold 5W rated oil is at least six/eight times thicker than a 50grade oil when hot, whereas some have the idea that a low W rated oil actually gets thinner as it gets colder.

Did you mention that the motors only leak when they are cold?