Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

10-speed gearbox

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
So you can pre-select ?

More like a automated manual , with a lever for shifting , up on the lever for shifting up a gear and down for down shifts pretty much seamless gear changes , some of the newer Volvo's and Scania's in the fleet are fully automatic . I'll be taking over a brand new Volvo FM500 in a couple of months .

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Why the hell would you need 10 gears unless it's a road ranger box in a truck lol
Always in the right gear; 'boxen change a lot more quickly these days, so all the between-gears waiting is largely gone.
A smart auto hearbox (the ones fitted to Commodores not being examples) will sort itself such that the car will just do what you want it to, and probably sooner than if you had to do the gear selecting yourself.

Had a CVT in my Mitsi.... never ever again.
The CVT in our rental n/a 2.5L 2012-model Legacy in NZ was a better 'box than the Commodore one in terms of being in the right gear, and didn't have any slurring or lag or weird droney mid-revs behaviour under medium throttle.
But then it's only an automatic, so expectation ain't that high. :)

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
More like a automated manual , with a lever for shifting , up on the lever for shifting up a gear and down for down shifts pretty much seamless gear changes , some of the newer Volvo's and Scania's in the fleet are fully automatic . I'll be taking over a brand new Volvo FM500 in a couple of months .

I wonder if in a few years any one will remember double clutching,lol

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I wonder if in a few years any one will remember double clutching,lol

Most wouldn't know what that is now, let alone how it's done!

It's like how I mentioned something about a video tape to my nephew and he looked at me funny and said "Don't be silly, videos come on discs".

Andrew

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I remember watching movies at home on projectors and reels.

2015-10-2-movie-reels.jpeg;w=630

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
It's interesting that going for a box with so many speeds is a benifit. Those 8 speed boxes in a lot of the Euros now seem to be really good and can give the best of both worlds having short gears to fire it away from a standing start and having some tall ratios for high speed cruising. They get some pretty startling acceleration from moderately powered engines.

10 speeds seem overkill. Perhaps in a 4wd you could have the first 2 gears super short negating the need for a low ratio box and for normal driving it would start off in 3rd perhaps.

For something as torquey as the comaro engine it seems abit much. It would sound like one of those European hill climb cars with 5.86:1 diffs.