Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100 % Octane in VS Ute.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
United have done 100RON fuel & E85 for quite some time,

Almost every import forum have members that LOVE the 100RON fuel from united, Which is 98ron + 10% Ethanol.

My Bimmer has a 100RON capable tune, An when I use it it is punchier but not enough for me to want to use it all the time.

I'll stick to my 98RON because there is no reason to run 100RON unless you have a tune that relies on your fuel to such a high standard. ie: Forced induction an you are grasping for power.

Cheers
Mat

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Being a 10% ethanol wouldn't it be a tad dirty on your engine?

davleigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS Commodore
running this fuel, could you run octane boost if wanted to take your car out for a track day.

not that Townsville has a drag strip anymore. but I'm just curious is all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Don't use octane boost. Biggest waste of time I found. Made no difference. Just fouled the plugs.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A mate of mine used octane booster in his VZ SV6 down the quarter, actually went slower than 95.

As far as alternative fuels go, ethanol is pretty good, but you do use more for the same driving. Same as LPG. Higher octane but you use more. I agree that the engine needs tuning to suit the fuel, otherwise it will actually be worse than a lower octane. Marketing works wonders for the PetCo's, spend 10+ cents a litre more for a fuel that does very little for performance and economy to the majority of cars. It doesn't cost anywhere near that extra to produce a higher octane fuel.

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina
mmmmmm lets sell a more efficent fuel (which is 2 points higher than 98 thats been round for donkeys) an throw ethanol in it to offset our cost implementing 100 octane fuel. Public are morons they will never know!

meh America has 105 octane and has no ethanol

wake me that happens cause im kinda sleepy :sleeping:

Andreas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS III V6 ute
Bit disappointed with some of the negative comments, I was under the misconception that this forum assisted members with same interests not used to demoralise.

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina
sorry man wasnt directed at anyone in particular just saying its a gimmick

people who buy 98 octane already pay a premium for more efficient travel and longer engine life, they are not going to be interested in 100 octane with ethanol because straight away they know it uses more fuel

Andreas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS III V6 ute
Thanks msiys for the reply thats cool mate, your right I''ll be going back to 98 octane the 100 proving less economical. And now I also know there is no such thing as 100% octane as some other member pointed out!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
E85, simply unless you retune the car for it you are wasting your money, running a standard tune is not going to take advantage with ignition timing and will be running very lean for the fuel type, i wouldn't be putting it in a 20 year old car unless you atleast replace all the old fuel & vapor hoses, commodores seem to have enough of a problem with them with std ulp.....

at the end of the day to get the same performance of pulp you'll need to run around 9:1 stoich ratio where petrol is 14.7:1 these are the optimum values for a clean burn (keep in mind that under wot you want petrol (ulp/pulp) richer around 12.5:1 13:1) so at the end of the day you are not going to be more economical, with the right tune you will be probably see some performance increase, sfa km per tank and money disappearing from your wallet faster......

Being a 10% ethanol wouldn't it be a tad dirty on your engine?

now ethanol isn't bad for an engine, in fact it's a very clean fuel and will help clean injectors and such, also alcohol when hitting the combustion chamber before ignition will cool it better than standard petrol, cooler air, bigger bang but ethanol burns slower than petrol, alcohol it's the liquid that burns, petrol being the vapor.

the big thing years ago and why ethanol has a bad name is when it was first on the market it was not refined properly and was often just poured into ulp or "splash mixed" which resulted is uneven distribution and when filling you could end up with a heap more ethanol than petrol which could eat fuel hoses, wreck fuel pump and back then there were alot more mechanical fuel pumps which had the diaphragms eaten out.... atleast todays refining process mixes it properly.

Last edited: