Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1997 VSII L67 Calais

KB428

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII L67 Calais
Car: VSII L67 Calais (HSV enhanced)
Year: 1997, build date 21 January 1997
Colour: White (Holden SIP 10.5 lists Alaskan white but I thought series II got Heron white?)
Motor: L67
Mods : None
Exhaust: Standard
Gearbox: Auto
Diff : LSD
Power : Stock
Suspension : FE2
Interior : Velour / Leather combo
Rims : 17x8 VS Senator (my favourite rims of the era, though I confess I'm probably the only person in existence who actually likes the standard series II Calais 16 x 7s)
Bodykit : No thanks, it's a grandpa Calais
Kilometres: 118,000
Owned Since: 6/14

The vehicle was factory optioned with FE-2 and LSD. Has HSV enhanced 250kmh cluster, ISS, Senator 10 spokes and dash plaque. Has no HSV build plate though which suggests either dealer fitted items / HBD or a later retro fit.
I have always been a big fan of the VSII Calais L67 and always wanted to own one over the years. I still have the 97 Magazines where they surprised the reviewers with its acceleration capabilities - notably against its 5litre bretheren. I tracked down this immaculate example in Sydney. Everything works 100%. The previous owner had it lowered (as in the pictures) but I've refitted the FE-2 springs and much prefer the less hektik sleeper stance of stock FE-2 ride height.
I had thought of doing roller rockers and a 10psi pulley but am fairly content with the current level of power, especially the 0-50kmh sprint (on par with my Liberty GT). Definitely the slowest of my cars, but perhaps my favourite. It's a fat boat that sounds like a sewing machine but I love the effortless low down grunt.

Recent work done: aerial replaced (had kink and wouldn't retract 100%), drivers door actuator replaced, throttle body and injector clean, auto transmission service
Future plans: warped airbag cover to be fixed (a local auto trimmer does these), repainting of the Senator rims - the original owner missed the recall on these and they have deteriorated a bit
Questions- my pulley snout is black whereas all others I've seen are polished - is this normal?
And: the fuel consumption frankly sux for a S/C 3.8 litre. Around town she guzzles about 17L/100km. She has new O2 sensors. Is this normal? I drive her very sedately.

4T 6SC V8 010sm.jpg4T 6SC V8 028sm.jpgJuly 14 0066sm.jpg4T 6SC V8 004sm.jpgJuly 14 006sm.jpgJuly 14 007sm.jpgDoco 001sm.jpg

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Very nice, clean Calais mate. I saw this one for sale not too long ago, and I don't think one like this will come around again. Congrats on the purchase, enjoy driving it and look after her. Standard Calais rims are really nice, I'd go for a set of them.

As for the fuel consumption, it seems like something's odd there. Are you calculating this manually, or just going by the trip computer? Because they have been known to be a bit inaccurate.

KB428

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII L67 Calais
Thanks KrisG - I'll definitely look after her. When the previous owner first bought it, it was consuming 26L/100. New genuine O2 sensors dropped that to 16L/100. I did a manual calc via the bowser and she was consuming 17L/100 moderate city driving. I might have to get it checked - all my other cars have pretty well matched published fuel consumption stats.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Nice mate.............................................

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Nice work mate. Very tidy rig. I love how mint the interior is, I can almost smell that new car scent just looking at it. What did you Pay for it?

KB428

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII L67 Calais
Paid top dollar - $7k (though that's the least I've ever paid for a car I must admit)
The week before there was a 100k white VSII L67 Calais in QLD that I tried to buy but just missed out.
Aside from the warped airbag cover the interior is immaculate - no marks and the leather is in excellent nick. Car has no squeaks or rattles too which is surprising considering its age.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
Agreed. Some tint on the windows and it would look pretty damn perfect. I like the wheels as well, Not too overdone but still nice to look at, and works well with the car itself as a package.

I think it may have a bodykit, I can see side skirts and a lip around the front? Maybe I'm mistaken though? Nonetheless, it's a damn nice looking ride.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
Very nice old Calais mate.
My VY Calais L67 drank fuel too (16L/100k around town) my VY SS uses a lot less fuel than the Calais did (12-13L/100k around town. The Calais was however pretty good on the highway, around 8.5L/100k.
Check to see if your boost control solenoid is functioning properly or has been bypassed.
I got sucked into the hype of the bcs bypass mod, imo it's bullshit! Had no noticeable increase in power and the thing had horrible fuel consumption.