Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.5" to big?

ALIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i got mine done in stainless steel with a redback muffler for 350... done at tidd bros in spotswood, vic.

what did you get done exactly?

EDIT:

I just gave them a call, a guy by the name of Fred (lovely guy to talk to lol) gave me some quotes

$440 - no name
$500- full mandrel cat back exhaust
$550 - APE tested cat back sports exhaust system

so my question again, what did you get put on for $300? a plastic tube? lol

Last edited:

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
I have the same thing on my VZ Calais, i agree exactly with your observations too. Top end is slightly better, but definately no power loss, if anything theres a slight gain. plus the redback and 2.5inch sounds nice a deep. a bit of drone, but for a 6, i dont think theres a better combo.

Mine was a bit droney with the 2.5" Redback zorst when first fitted (VP Sedan) so I fitted a 12" hotdog where the resinator usually sits and now the drone is almost unnoticeable.

ALIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey all, i have called over 15 places this morning trying to solve this issue.... so far here are the answers i have come up with.

1) Buying the mandrel bent system or redback system from a retailer and getting it fitted at a exhaust shop did not have much of an impact on the price. This mean that most of the installers only charge for labor on the job.

2) HUGE CONTRADICTIONS from one 'performance shop' to another. Some claim that they would not pay for anything unless it was mandrel bent, because your loosing a lot of the 'purrr' with a normal system. Others say there is no difference between a 'redback' system normally bent and getting one mandrel bent claiming that 'it is a waist of time and money'.
Please help with referenced answers to this question please?

3) some places almost recommended the 2 1/2 system over anything else, however other places said that the 3.6L V6 didnt have enough balls to support the 2 1/2 and would do nothing but cause too much noise and a headache for the driver. If you chose to go for the 'single 2 1/2' that was fine but the twin was too much.

who ever has either system, or has any complaints please give us your input!!!!!

EDIT:
Al's Custom Exhausts claims that a twin 2.5 is guaranteed to put you over the noise limit and loose your roadworthy, not even the slightest chance it would be under. thought id add this in for you

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
what did you get done exactly?

EDIT:

I just gave them a call, a guy by the name of Fred (lovely guy to talk to lol) gave me some quotes

$440 - no name
$500- full mandrel cat back exhaust
$550 - APE tested cat back sports exhaust system

so my question again, what did you get put on for $300? a plastic tube? lol

Lmao... yeah fred! he's a top bloke! Well i got mine so cheap, i think, because the 2 into one 2.5inch piping wasn't brand new, but the redback muffler was. I paid 440 all up because the tip i chose was 90 dollars. Maybe i got lucky? haha, i love the job he did. My mate got his FG XR6 done there with an xforce muffler for 440... Maybe go in there and sweet talk him, he's an awesome bloke, willing to do good deals too from my experiences...

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Hey all, i have called over 15 places this morning trying to solve this issue.... so far here are the answers i have come up with.

1) Buying the mandrel bent system or redback system from a retailer and getting it fitted at a exhaust shop did not have much of an impact on the price. This mean that most of the installers only charge for labor on the job.

2) HUGE CONTRADICTIONS from one 'performance shop' to another. Some claim that they would not pay for anything unless it was mandrel bent, because your loosing a lot of the 'purrr' with a normal system. Others say there is no difference between a 'redback' system normally bent and getting one mandrel bent claiming that 'it is a waist of time and money'.
Please help with referenced answers to this question please?

3) some places almost recommended the 2 1/2 system over anything else, however other places said that the 3.6L V6 didnt have enough balls to support the 2 1/2 and would do nothing but cause too much noise and a headache for the driver. If you chose to go for the 'single 2 1/2' that was fine but the twin was too much.

who ever has either system, or has any complaints please give us your input!!!!!

EDIT:
Al's Custom Exhausts claims that a twin 2.5 is guaranteed to put you over the noise limit and loose your roadworthy, not even the slightest chance it would be under. thought id add this in for you

Twin would definately be too much... i have 2.5inch dual piping that goes immediately into 2.5inch single right out so there is some compression... The 3.6s definately need some back pressure, theyre not emitting that much exhaust...

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Had my sv6 done with a single 2.5" exhaust.

Cats > Merge into 2.5" Single Pipe > High-Flow Muffler > 2.5" Pipe > HotDog Resonator

Didn't notice any loss of power, exhaust note is nice especially at high rpm... Yet to get the car tuned or anything.

YouTube - IMG_0297[1].MOV

Sorry for the crappy youtube, need to get a better camera, it was just recorded for a mate haha.

ALIII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Lmao... yeah fred! he's a top bloke! Well i got mine so cheap, i think, because the 2 into one 2.5inch piping wasn't brand new, but the redback muffler was. I paid 440 all up because the tip i chose was 90 dollars. Maybe i got lucky? haha, i love the job he did. My mate got his FG XR6 done there with an xforce muffler for 440... Maybe go in there and sweet talk him, he's an awesome bloke, willing to do good deals too from my experiences...
hahah, to be honest i think because of the way he was willing to talk to me and give me his quote and answer some of my questions i am willing to pay extra just for another chat! thanks for recommending this guy

Twin would definately be too much... i have 2.5inch dual piping that goes immediately into 2.5inch single right out so there is some compression... The 3.6s definately need some back pressure, theyre not emitting that much exhaust...
yeah that was what i thought afer speaking to everyone...

Cats > Merge into 2.5" Single Pipe > High-Flow Muffler > 2.5" Pipe > HotDog Resonator
Didn't notice any loss of power, exhaust note is nice especially at high rpm... Yet to get the car tuned or anything.
Sorry for the crappy youtube, need to get a better camera, it was just recorded for a mate haha.
Sounds nice, so thats just a single 2 1/2 pipe ha? that was what quite a few places recommended...

I would like to hear from someone that has a 2x2 1/2 system....

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
hahah, to be honest i think because of the way he was willing to talk to me and give me his quote and answer some of my questions i am willing to pay extra just for another chat! thanks for recommending this guy

Haha yeah no worries. I stumbled across him when i got mine done two years ago, and have been back a few times with mates. So far everyones happy. Plus freds a funny bloke. Let us know which way you go.

az_sv6

coudnt aford a v8
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6

that doesnt sound to bad. all i have to to now is convince my gf to let me fit it!!!

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
that doesnt sound to bad. all i have to to now is convince my gf to let me fit it!!!

Do what I do... Just keep talking about it all the time. And when she asks you to stop talking about it, be like "I cant stop talking about it until i've got it done"... So far that's got me rims, an exhaust, suspension and other stupid crap that she just wants me to shutup about :)