Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE SSV vs 2007 BF MKII XR6 Turbo. Which one would you choose?

VE SSV or BF MKII XR6 Turbo?

• VE SSV

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • BF MKII XR6 Turbo

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Your question is which one would I choose so...I'd keep the VE, because one can never have too much boot space when one has a family. Plus, being a long-running model with an LS-based engine it's unlikely to ever run out of spare parts, and I have a habit of keeping cars until they fall completely apart. Plus, they're a bloody good looking vehicle.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Drive one first or even a few times before you sell your beloved SS, if its a financial thing , you have to do whats best for you mate, I own a VE SS V, I got it because with the cam , exhaust, dif gears, ect its a blast to drive and everytime I start it , sounds awesome certainly something I enjoy driving and never get sick of it. One thing assured is you will never the ford turbo to sound like a V8 mate.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Thinking about buying an exhaust system for the VE SSV to make it sound much better, and then I will definitely want to keep it even more haha

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Honestly if performance is the main reason your keeping it, an XR6 will be a better choice. The problem is, most BF XR6's have been modded and tuned, and this itself presents a problem. A lot of tuners have NFI what their doing, and will be a costly exercise if it was never tuned right. Finding a stock BF XR6 MK2 is nearly impossible, and even if you do, there is a price tag problem, the owners think its worth more than it is. If you enjoy music off your iPod/phone the VE is the better choice, however its pretty easy to stick a powerful aftermarket unit in BF with bluetooth and steering wheel controls.

Honestly, if you find a BF thats not a MK2 (everyone wants the MK2 because of the gearbox - 6 speed auto) and without premium sound or leather, its not worth it. If your wanting a manual - your choices open up a lot more. A BF MK3 with all the bells and whistles as standard is rare to come by, but I'd be looking for one of them first.

At the end of the day, If the acceleration from 0-100 in your VE is enough - just add an exhaust. If its not, drive a few BF's and compare.

But if its outright performance and "my car is faster than yours" to all your mates, then all we'll see is another "I've lost my license" thread eventually. I held off for ages to get my G6ET tuned, because I knew I'd lose my license in it. I've lost a few points - but I also don't drive it everyday. because I know deep down, I can't help myself with the feeling of being thrown back into the seat from a standing start. But I do tend to back off before blitzing or doubling the speed limit. Its just thats its soon easy to do so in a turbo Falcon.

Long winded post, but I went through a similar thought process between a G6ET and a VE Calais V V8, and I thought I'd share.

One word of advice though - If your looking at a BF - Diff bushes are a massive issue and check the climate controls work, particularly if its duel zone.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Honestly if performance is the main reason your keeping it, an XR6 will be a better choice. The problem is, most BF XR6's have been modded and tuned, and this itself presents a problem. A lot of tuners have NFI what their doing, and will be a costly exercise if it was never tuned right. Finding a stock BF XR6 MK2 is nearly impossible, and even if you do, there is a price tag problem, the owners think its worth more than it is. If you enjoy music off your iPod/phone the VE is the better choice, however its pretty easy to stick a powerful aftermarket unit in BF with bluetooth and steering wheel controls.

Honestly, if you find a BF thats not a MK2 (everyone wants the MK2 because of the gearbox - 6 speed auto) and without premium sound or leather, its not worth it. If your wanting a manual - your choices open up a lot more. A BF MK3 with all the bells and whistles as standard is rare to come by, but I'd be looking for one of them first.

At the end of the day, If the acceleration from 0-100 in your VE is enough - just add an exhaust. If its not, drive a few BF's and compare.

But if its outright performance and "my car is faster than yours" to all your mates, then all we'll see is another "I've lost my license" thread eventually. I held off for ages to get my G6ET tuned, because I knew I'd lose my license in it. I've lost a few points - but I also don't drive it everyday. because I know deep down, I can't help myself with the feeling of being thrown back into the seat from a standing start. But I do tend to back off before blitzing or doubling the speed limit. Its just thats its soon easy to do so in a turbo Falcon.

Long winded post, but I went through a similar thought process between a G6ET and a VE Calais V V8, and I thought I'd share.

One word of advice though - If your looking at a BF - Diff bushes are a massive issue and check the climate controls work, particularly if its duel zone.

I get what you are saying. I am happy with the power my VE SSV has, and the only reason I am thinking of selling it, is so I can pay out the loan, and only have one car loan instead of two.

But if I end up selling it, I wan't something with the same, if not more power, at an affordable price where I don't have to get another loan (so say $10,000 and under).

I was even considering getting an older V8 Commodore like a VX SS or something, but know it will be nothing like the VE SSV. So I am considering other alternatives like the XR6 Turbo because I know that they can be made to make more power than a V8 Commodore.

Before my VE SSV, I owned a 2008 BF MKII SR Falcon (but was dedicated gas), and that was an awesome car to drive, handled really well, was comfortable even though it was lowered with 20 inch wheels, and I loved it. Only reason I sold it was because I was over the dedicated gas part and wanted something with more power.

I have driven FG G6E Turbos in the past, and love them, but they are out of my price range. That is why I am thinking BA, BA MKII, BF, BF MKII, depending if I can find one that has most options and is clean.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Unless you want a manual, Stop looking at the 4/5 speed BA's
The ZF 6 Speed is what you want, so BF Mk2 and if you could find one, MK3.

I get what you mean about the loan problem, its just something in your head that makes you question why your driving the banks car. Ruins the driving experience and make you not want to mod it.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Paying off the loan is a smart option. As said the only cars really worth looking at are the BF Mk2 with the 6 speed auto if auto is what your going for. The 4 speed boxes are terrible. Also as said the XR6 turbo prices are ridiculously over inflated. Might take take you a while but I'm sure you will find something that ticks all the boxes. Might even have to travel. 5 seconds worth of searching.

2006 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo BF Mk II Auto

2007 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo BF Mk II Auto