Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016-2017

IRON8

Let It Rip
Reaction score
Members Ride
'VTank SS , VG/VR Ute
Introduce 150% import tax on foreign motor vehicles, Voila! the return of Ford vs Holden V8 Touring car glory!
(because with a lack of country loyalty people solely shop on price alone, therefore by inflating jap crap and euro's they are forced to shop locally . . . on price )

just my 2cents. it won't happen and may not even work if it did, but meh.
The slippery downhill slide began when the humble AussieV8 was discontinued and an alternative V8 sourced off shore.

what you mean, it was already a missmatch, an aussie built 304 based on the 350 chev and dropped in a Opel Omega and sold in Australasia as a Holden Commodore...

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
[/B]

what you mean, it was already a missmatch, an aussie built 304 based on the 350 chev and dropped in a Opel Omega and sold in Australasia as a Holden Commodore...

:rofl2: yeah I suppose.

TBH, it wasn't only the 350chev they based it on. It was quite advanced in 1968 (or 69, when ever it was unveiled)
So I read some where anyway. I was still a few decades off existing so WTF would I know, LOL :confused:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
[/B]

You are kidding, right. The 308 had nothing in common with the 350 apart from bore size and basic configuration. It was always intended to be a light-weight V8 and was designed from the start to fit into right hand drive cars, which the Chev was not. The design differences between the two engines would fill a large book.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
:rofl2: yeah I suppose.

TBH, it wasn't only the 350chev they based it on. It was quite advanced in 1968 (or 69, when ever it was unveiled)
So I read some where anyway. I was still a few decades off existing so WTF would I know, LOL :confused:

The 253 was released in May 1969 with the introduction of the HT, but the first prototype Holden V8's were running around in the mid 60's. I remember reading that the earliest ones were fitted to EH's when they were still the current model.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The 253 was released in May 1969 with the introduction of the HT, but the first prototype Holden V8's were running around in the mid 60's. I remember reading that the earliest ones were fitted to EH's when they were still the current model.

Cheers for the info bud :thumbsup:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Multinationals have nothing to do with it. If my business is going bad because I am not selling a product my customer wants will I get a government handout when I'm about to go bankrupt?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
If my business is going bad because I am not selling a product my customer wants will I get a government handout when I'm about to go bankrupt?

Actually yes, when you employ more than a dozen or so people, a major line item on the State and Commonwealth balance sheet, and deemed a national asset, anything is possible.
Even to the extent of changing a few laws or allocating another .25% of one budget from another hopeless cause to aid a national icon.
GM has some very crafty beggars, that's a key role of the entire finance department, to milk the cream within arm's reach of their business. No company seeks handouts because of market failure anymore, but rather are eligible for assistance under current public service thinking / initiatives. ie alternative fuel, using local product, recycling consumer products, making cars less toxic, supporting aluminium / steel / recycled drink bottle industry, etc.
There are literally hundreds of categories of financial support, and dozens in support of human resources. If Holden fails it will be because of their lack of financial prowess in this area, not neccessarily because the product is an anachronism.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It's funny how the younger members of the forum are so attached to the "Commodore" nameplate and dread the thought that it might either be attached to some "unsuitable" design, such as an SUV, or dropped altogether. Prior to 1978, the name didn't exist in Australia and it was imported from Opel. Before the Commodore came along, we had the Monaro or GTS to satisfy ourselves with, and both those names, which were just as iconic as "Commodore" is today, were dropped. So what?

Older members of the forum probably don't give a rat's ass if the name dies - I'd just like to think that whatever it's called, it's designed and built here. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall and, whatever configuration it comes in, it is likely to be a Daewoo product with some Aussie design and engineering input, maybe some local components like panels and trim and maybe even the engine if it keeps the V6.
Quite right , in America GM killed off Pontiac , and Oldsmobile , both names that are older than Holden ,but killed off because they were uneconomic as entities , and I'm sure a few tears were shed over their demise , if the same happens to Holden lets hope what ever replaces it does have local input of some sort. Its the specter of a Korean Commodore is probably what scares some , but they have come a long way in terms of finish and reliability , putting some cars to shame on both fronts .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Quite right , in America GM killed off Pontiac , and Oldsmobile , both names that are older than Holden ,but killed off because they were uneconomic as entities , and I'm sure a few tears were shed over their demise , if the same happens to Holden lets hope what ever replaces it does have local input of some sort. Its the specter of a Korean Commodore is probably what scares some , but they have come a long way in terms of finish and reliability , putting some cars to shame on both fronts .

Whatever the cars are called, the Holden name must and will remain, even if only appended to CBU and CKD imports. Killing off the Holden name, not just the Commodore designation, would be a major error. I'd bet that GM has no intention of doing so.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Whatever the cars are called, the Holden name must and will remain, even if only appended to CBU and CKD imports. Killing off the Holden name, not just the Commodore designation, would be a major error. I'd bet that GM has no intention of doing so.

I hope you are right