Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300k on one set of struts?

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
All done. Wheel aligned.
Rewarding but if you're almost done with your VT it's not worth the cost. I'm gonna wanna keep mine for a few more years now after fixing this and rear main seal. There's a grand + I'll never get back

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
I did my struts and strut mounts last weekend, totally worth doing, it drives like a different car now. A mechanic said there was no urgency but to go for it if I wanted to, glad I did.

220k on the clock.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Did you do wheel alignment and did you get any feedback from that? My guy said my radius rod bushes should have been done at same time since it is letting it down. Bugger, I looked and thought it was ok. I'll have to do that when I do my next tyre swap in around 10k.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Missus car passed the 200k mark recently, it's now got it's 3rd set of front struts fitted. At 200K the original top strut bush and bearing was fucked, particularly the passenger side that takes a beating on our pristine roads.....

Don't need an impact wrench to do the job....The nuts and bolts you speak aren't that tight....If you struggle undoing it by hand, grab a hammer and the nut or bolt that has the spanner on it, give it a wack....It'll loosen off

Nope, you don't but it does make the job a **** load easier/quicker :)

..... and once you have the tools they make other jobs easier too.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Missus car passed the 200k mark recently, it's now got it's 3rd set of front struts fitted. At 200K the original top strut bush and bearing was fucked, particularly the passenger side that takes a beating on our pristine roads.....

Nope, you don't but it does make the job a **** load easier/quicker :)

..... and once you have the tools they make other jobs easier too.

Agreed having the tools make it easier, but strangely enough, the only nut I use the rattle gun on is the top nut, due to the fact the insert has a habit of spinning. The 2 nuts and bolts I find are easier with a ratchet, socket and spanner

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys, if someone here has done KYB's can you tell me what you did with the top nut, did you use the nyloc nut or the OE nut? Using the nyloc you can't put the cap on

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If the nyloc nut doesn't go down far enough for the plastic ring to grip the stud and stud to poke out the top then use the OE nut.
I've been told the nyloc nuts are just for assembly and not for driving. Very Strange!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've got the nyloc nuts on the top of the struts, I don't see any issue having those over the OE nuts.

Agreed having the tools make it easier, but strangely enough, the only nut I use the rattle gun on is the top nut, due to the fact the insert has a habit of spinning. The 2 nuts and bolts I find are easier with a ratchet, socket and spanner

I used it on the top nut and the spring compressors. For the Strut to hub bolts I used a ratchet and spanner as well and a ratchet style spanner for the sway bar link arm nuts :)

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Did you do wheel alignment and did you get any feedback from that? My guy said my radius rod bushes should have been done at same time since it is letting it down. Bugger, I looked and thought it was ok. I'll have to do that when I do my next tyre swap in around 10k.

Did the wheel alignment the next day, they didn't say anything was out of the ordinary.