Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

300k on one set of struts?

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I forgot to add the cost of the initial fix, tie rod ends, rack boots. It never ends

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, to get grunt and quality in air tools you usually need to spend a small fortune, also a bigger than the small cheap low cost compressors help because if they work to hard will pump heaps of moisture into tooling and therefore need more maintenance.
Nolathane strut top mounts are heavy duty, they will last way longer but with standard suspension setup could go standard strut top mounts, they will be cheaper.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I forgot to add the cost of the initial fix, tie rod ends, rack boots. It never ends
Well, rack boots are pretty cheap. Hope the racks not leaking oil into the boots?

D

devilly

I put in nolathane strut top's they cracked with in a few months. lesson learnt anything big go Rubber so it can move and not split in half and anything small go nolathane, is the key to it. money wasted to learn this over $500. Rattle gun nar just good tools, sledge hammer, breaker bar and spring compressor is all you need for the front. People forget about the in built levelling system when doing there suspension.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
No Nolathane, got it.
First step, remove outer tie rod end, FAIL. OMFG. The retaining nut is not budging. Great start

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There's a great idea but I don't see many places advertising this.
I figure those nuts and bolts will be really hard to get off without an impact wrench ( you are not helping me get my toy by this line of questioning )

Don't need an impact wrench to do the job....The nuts and bolts you speak aren't that tight....If you struggle undoing it by hand, grab a hammer and the nut or bolt that has the spanner on it, give it a wack....It'll loosen off

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
While I was there I noticed the the inner tie rods do not push or click in/out but they are loose vertically, is that still ok

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
no that is not ok for tierod ends.
they should be firm to rotate,
but no play in any direction

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Dunno, I need a better explanation there.
I have seen a couple YouTube vids where they say , push the inner rod end in and out if it moves or clicks it's bad, it should also not drop when held horizontally .
That second part of the equation is borderline. The first part is fine, there is no movement in or out
So I am unsure even with what you just tried to say to be honest