Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

350 chev or 308

darkstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk executive. vr executive
burnz said:
308 strocked to 383 same thing
308 and the small block are interchangable !

but 350 and 308 are the same price and find more 350 done up for sale that 308s:wave:

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
darkstar said:
but 350 and 308 are the same price and find more 350 done up for sale that 308s:wave:
yep the 350 is cheap as $450 complete runner better to reco
308 expensive but still cheaper for converion in early model commo

darkstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk executive. vr executive
burnz said:
yep the 350 is cheap as $450 complete runner better to reco
308 expensive but still cheaper for converion in early model commo

what do you think about proformance for them both do you think ite worth the hassel of putting the 350 in knowing its a good strong engine?;)

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
darkstar said:
what do you think about proformance for them both do you think ite worth the hassel of putting the 350 in knowing its a good strong engine?;)
as hard as i try i seem to get more power out of the 308 than the 350
350 80%ve
308 106%ve

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
na go the 308
forced go the 350

hemipoweredvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais, vn waggon
SL/ENUT said:
Have you actually ever done it?. If so you have just shown the WRONG dodgy way. If you done that the RTA would put a red sticker on it.

why mine past vic and nsw mod checks with flying colors im on border so needed both vic n nsw as i not to get picked in nsw

SL/ENUT said:
Hmm a gen 3 sump and pick up. If its the gen 3 i know of they only fit LS1/LS2/LS6 and LS7.

all 350 chev bottom ends r compatible ur a fool to think otherwise

SL/ENUT said:
Well just had a look on rare spares, they don't even stock them!!. I know CRS stock them, over $100. And any adaptor is more than $10

i have a set here and reciept i paid $10 in may for my fathers conversion im doing now

SL/ENUT said:
Ha a 6 cylinder radiator? If you know what a 350 looks like, its the same as a Holden 308. So you need a V8 rad.

chev and holden are on oposite sides go have a look phhhht

SL/ENUT said:
THis won't work either. The HQ is a completely different car with a completely different wire loom. They aren't even compatable.

all holden with chevs the engine looms are the same just differes in the actual plug where it joins the dash loom at fire wall just change it to a vk plug and yes i did it to.

SL/ENUT said:
a TH350 might fit with a chev bellhousing, same as a T5. So they aren't direct bolt up are they? No.

t350\400\ t5 r all chev pattern bellhousings so its a direct bolt it, use the vk t5 gearbox crossmember (as vk's were released with t5's) or the t700 x-member for the t350-400

SL/ENUT said:
Well if thats the case, why isn't everyone doing that to the Commodores?. Also the cost of stroking a 350 Chev is more than a 308.

i build race engine for my race cars and it cost me $3500 to build the 383 in my hz compaired to the $5000 for the 355 in my fathers hz ute. and dont even look at building a holden 383 for less than $9000-10,000 the amount of block work involved. and my chev shits all over the 355 and now my faters putting a 383 chev in his. ppl r scared of the unknown and by listning to ppl like u that probly have neva done a conversion like this and have absolute no idea whats what puts them off.

SL/ENUT said:
Like i said near the beginning, it costs over $4000 just to fit a 350 into a VB-VL. Thats before you even think about what gear box to use, what tailshaft and diff.

well at the beginning i picked up a running chev 350 and t400 for $1200 and i had change left out of $2000 after i finished as that was all i had in my kitty.
i have done this conversion 11 times myself and for customers so i am speaking from experiance not of what i heard from a mate who over heard 2 guys talking.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Now did i say i heard some talk about it? No. I know cause i have helped over 5 ppl that was trying to put a 350 Chev into a VB-VLs. In the end they all gave up cause it was costing them far to much money
Now mods check is that engineered? You need to do that these days and ppl i know in the business say using a 350 into a Commodore WON'T get passed anymore.
All 350 bottom ends compatable? Yes but a Gen 3 isn't a 350 now is it.
The radiator well some are on opersite sides. The ones i have seen aren't. They are the same as a normal Commodore V8 item
The dash plug right you must of butched it cause trust me i have tried and it don't fit. You need a custom wire loom
That last bit about race engines using 350s well they fit very well into a HQ-WB everyone knows that. In an early commodore they don't fit so easy. You need to shift bits here and there.

Oh and the adaptor plate hahaha mate HZ use a different engine K frame. On the commodores you need new engine mounts, over $100 for just one!.

Now like i said i have helped a few out trying to do this. Even a person i know said that has a 350 into a VH said once, never ever again its cost over $4000. Thats doing it the right way, not a dodgy backyard job.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Oh and i forgot to add in, in NZ is different. So i hope darkstar does well what he has planned and i hope he puts down a tech artical on what he did and the costs.

hemipoweredvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais, vn waggon
im just going to leave this one right alone ur not worth my time or effort
my job was so dodgy and a backyard job well ok then suit urself, but i know that the huge smile on my face when the rta and vic roads licenced engineering inspector handed me the modd plates and said "thats the cleanest chev install i have seen" speaks for its self.

my comments up there where all towards the chev in vk where i was compairing hz's was for power, had nothing to do with installing a chev in a hz.

what r u getting at what doesnt make a gen 3 a 350 chev? buy saying that would be too say a 5l isnt a 308\304?, the new 350 gen 3 commy block is imported and is the same as the old 350 blocks just with a few slight internal changes for the roller cam and so (5.7=5.7, 350=350) (edited sorry was talking about vortec heads while writing) but everything is backwards compatible just like the new 5.0l and the old 308's.

i own a 383 hz ute and built a 383 vk for summernats and drove it from here to canberra all around the 3 days on cruises and home again. i got pulled over 15 times by the police spent ruffly 10-15min each time while they went right over the car and not once did i get canaried or warned about anything, and sold it not long ago rwc passed had no complaints.
i dont know where u get ur facts from but i just did an injected 454 in a vc for a mate with a tremec 6 speed and dana rear end and had it all past nsw engineering with out a prob, well sorry got knocked back on the efi settings as the timing was to advanced and didnt conform to emmissions but with a push on the hand controller all was good. well thats it for me i will ignore all ur future comments as i think ur full of urself and i dont really want to be band from this site already

Last edited:
F

foammedia

This is all good and all but the gen 3 is a _*completely*_ different motor and block, the engines with the vortec heads are the LT1's, The LT1 sump on a old block I can see happening but not one from a LS1