Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355" build thread

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Try Mondo Baker on Pro Holden page if the CRD caps don't get back to you.

Think I prefer outer bolts to be more straight then angled but depends on block used some don't have much meat there in webbing...went through couple of blocks before settled on vn std bore in awsome shape.

Allports had one or two cap faces welded up so there was full contact for Miloden caps & block/caps machined true but last time spoke to TK none of that needed these days with newer caps/technology.

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
Great thread,I'm just starting to get my vt wagons 304 upgraded to a 355
Got a nice set of brand new VN heads that have had work done to them I think they flowed 612hp on the flow bench! ,and a crow roller cam is my parts that have arrived so far.My block has all ready been 0 decked,and have a come single plane and twin 304 throttle bodys already on the 304.it will be coming out next week to be stripped down.
IMG_20240420_075705.jpg
I can't wait to get it started wasn't planning on doing the 355 for awhile yet,but engine is coming out to fix an oil leak so may as well do it all now!!
IMG_20240420_073850.jpg
IMG_20240420_073854.jpg
IMG_20240420_073844.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240420_073900.jpg
    IMG_20240420_073900.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 16

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It will be coming out next week to be stripped down.I can' wait to get it started wasn't planning on doing the 355 for awhile yet.
Looks like a lot of us have similar winter plans.

I'm driving mine this weekend and probably next weekend and then It'll be coming off the road, once the rain starts falling here mid May or so the car doesn't go out anymore unless we get a really nice El Nino winter where it's dry (but that hasn't happened for a few years now). Which makes it the best time to get work done as we usually have about 3-4 months of **** weather then it starts to come good again.

I've had my spare engine and the 355 kit for about 18 months now, but the cars been running so well lately and budget hadn't permitted after spending about $15k on the car last year so I'd kept running the car with the 304 as long as I could.

But the cracks are starting to show now. I'm not 100% happy with the paint job I did in the engine bay after the fire and bay smoothing and want to redo it, I did it in 40+ degree weather so theres a fair bit of dry spray which at the time I wasn't too concerned with as I had 1,000,000 other things to worry about to repair the car after the incident. However I've got more time to focus on it now so I want to make it right, the exterior of the car shines like a mirror, the engine bay needs to as well.

The engine has also been pretty tired for a few years now, when I bought the engine I'm running now it already had 180,000km on it and I just resealed it, threw a cam in it that was way to big and then ran it multiple times at the track and gave it a hard time. It's done really well, it's probs got 270,000km on it now after 10ish years. It still runs but the valve train is starting to get a bit chattery under RPM (most likely tired original cam bearings as they didn't look great last time I checked them and the cam, lifters, rockers etc are all only a few years old so it's unlikely to be them) and last time I checked the compression it wasn't looking super flash but about consistent with what you'd expect from a 30 year old donk with that kind of milage and a cam with lots of overlap.

So I'd rather build the new engine now and get it installed before I hurt the old 304 too much as with the prices of these engines on the second hand market now, I always want to have a good engine sitting in the shed as a spare for the future as soon they will be impossible to find so the idea is to re-ring, re-bearing, stock cam etc the 304 and have it sitting as a good reliable runner.

The unfortunate thing is to build the new engine the old one needs to be out of the car, because I have 1 set of cylinder heads between the two engines. My heads currently on my engine have had the deck height played with for compression and some basic porting done, so I'll have to send them off to be reskimmed for the new head gaskets and then swapped over onto the new donk. Hence why I've been waiting until now to get started on the build.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You guys are making me feel bad :(

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Try Mondo Baker on Pro Holden page if the CRD caps don't get back to you.

Think I prefer outer bolts to be more straight then angled but depends on block used some don't have much meat there in webbing...went through couple of blocks before settled on vn std bore in awesome shape.

Allports had one or two cap faces welded up so there was full contact for Miloden caps & block/caps machined true but last time spoke to TK none of that needed these days with newer caps/technology.
I've requested entry to the group. Thanks for that. It seems right down my alley.
I'll have a close look at my block to see, but it looks quite beefy on one side of each web, and slight clearanced (factory) on the other.

Great thread,I'm just starting to get my vt wagons 304 upgraded to a 355
Got a nice set of brand new VN heads that have had work done to them I think they flowed 612hp on the flow bench! ,and a crow roller cam is my parts that have arrived so far.My block has all ready been 0 decked,and have a come single plane and twin 304 throttle bodys already on the 304.it will be coming out next week to be stripped down.View attachment 266949I can't wait to get it started wasn't planning on doing the 355 for awhile yet,but engine is coming out to fix an oil leak so may as well do it all now!!View attachment 266954View attachment 266951View attachment 266953
Nice.
I very much like your cam choice!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Engine #2 Budget junker 308 (experiment engine going into BitsaBombore build)

Red or blue statesman engine cbf'd reading casting date...Gem Engines reco ran super smooth no leaks or smoke so kept onto it.

Struggler & I pulled it down think it was 60thou but way too good to scrap but also not worth buying flat tops & getting rebalanced as then I'd want to $499 scat crank down rabbit hole etc etc...rather gas the fcuk out of it & have fun with nitrous maybe side mount later on.

Basic oil mods...just necessary things for a weekender that will occasionally go WSID.

Pocket ported vt heads by Westend,roller rockers etc (top end will be decent)
china winder but maybe eddy single plane knockoff later on.

Compression expected to be low possibly 9.5cr...dont want to shave heads crazy amount....tbh not sur what compression will actually be untill gets built with thin cometics & only want 30 or 40tho off heads so they can be reused if needed.

Crow cam 4626

INEXINEXINEXINEX
Advertised@.050”
RPM RangePart No.Duration with 1.65 Rocker Lobe Sep AngleLash
2700 - 60004626278°288°238°244°0.5340.544109.024".026"