Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355 rebuild. Virgin bore.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
i leave the h-beams to the huge HP builds or something you want to rev hard.i beams are plenty enough.h-beams create more windage and drag than an i-beam
What do u think the loss would be between h and I beam rods?
My builder said it would be sweet FA as I had the same query when deciding between the two types of rods

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks for all the replys, iv been without internet since i made this thread :( Iv decided to go with the SCAT kit and 286 cam. Once i get those 2 plus the balancer (flex plate or fly wheel is i can find a cheap conversion kit) and drop it off at a builder, that way to get blanced and bottom end put together.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Why the 286?? Everyone uses them...surely theres something else on the market besides a crane 286

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I went with a crane H304. Hydraulic, but I'm not chasing huge HP, just reliable mid range revs that can turn the rear wheels in top gear.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I chose the 186 because everyone uses it lol. Id love a grumpy cam, but i also would like some usable power. Unless you can recommend something else. The 304 is the same price as the 286 just stated it required some head work.
"HYDRAULIC – Rough idle, strong power in midrange and top end -6500RPM, needs 10-10.5:1 comp. 3.5-3.9 rear end gears, hi-stall converter, modified heads etc. For serious use.
BASIC RPM 3000-6500"
Id only be running 3.08 gears altho going the flat top stroker kit, so compression is there.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I chose the 186 because everyone uses it lol. Id love a grumpy cam, but i also would like some usable power. Unless you can recommend something else. The 304 is the same price as the 286 just stated it required some head work.

Id only be running 3.08 gears altho going the flat top stroker kit, so compression is there.

They only recommend higher compression because the longer cam durations lose low end torque.
At the same time they recommend higher ratio diffs so you can get to the higher rpm range quicker.

There are some more important things to consider when choosing a cam.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ours is running 3.08's, but it doesn't need acceleration, it's a skid car. Got a 3500 high stall and a bottle of nitrous.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
I found a random vid of a VH with a H304 in it. I feel inlove with the sound. The car isnt really going to be raced, its just a cruiser purely for the V8 sound. Id be happy with lump and good take off, but after watching that vid, i dont mind what i lose. However the bannas wont be on for very long, im looking at other set up including ITBs now.

BUt there are very little vids on youtube with the h304. 1 or 2 i think, and thats what im basing my selection on, other peoples builds.
IM only guessing the 304a is the same as the h304 :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No, a H304 and 304A are different. Probably idle about the same, but the 304A is mechanical and has a higher RPM band.