Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5W30 V 10W30 engine oil

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Answered your own question.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
if you live in a cold environment i.e <5 degrees which tamworth would, then yes 5w-30 would be more suitable expecially if you do short trips, if your car uses a noticeable amount of oil, then possibly stick with 10w-30

fyi for another good alternative oil, Valvoline durablend 5w or 10w/30 grade oil is also a great oil to use in these.

it is a shame that magnatec professional 10w30 isnt sold to the public.... well autobarn/supershit anyway, its chemical make up is slightly different to the "magnatec 10w40" at those shops

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
if you live in a cold environment i.e <5 degrees which tamworth would, then yes 5w-30 would be more suitable expecially if you do short trips, if your car uses a noticeable amount of oil, then possibly stick with 10w-30

fyi for another good alternative oil, Valvoline durablend 5w or 10w/30 grade oil is also a great oil to use in these.

it is a shame that magnatec professional 10w30 isnt sold to the public.... well autobarn/supershit anyway, its chemical make up is slightly different to the "magnatec 10w40" at those shops

What's so good about magnatec 10w30?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
it sounds the same as 10w40 maganatec in shops, but is actually different chemical make up to the magnatec 10w-30 dealerships etc buy in 205 drums.

not sure of the exact differences, but it was explained to me by the castrol rep one day when we were updating the oil range in the workshop i was in at the time

KrisDeagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 3.6L V6
Sorry to resurrect the thread guys but didn't want to start a new one in relation to this...basically, I am a n00b and have been using 20w/50 in my VZ Berlina (never read the manual or anything, yes idiot, I know...didn't even know you had to add oil when I had my first car [though no-one told me, so I guess you can't just know things without having first learned them]) but it has done 260***kms. Am I royally screwed for using such a high winter rating? Could I get away with that 50 because of how old it is? I realize now, that I will only be using 10w/30 like the manual says but how badly would I have affected the car with previous use of such high viscosity oil?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The Owners Manual for the VZ Alloytec advises using the following engine oil (specification):

SAE 5W/30 or 10W/30 API SL/SM ILSAC GF 3/GF -4 oil

If you are unsure which oil (5W or 10W) to use (owing to severe/extreme cold weather conditions) then check with your local Holden Dealer as to their opinion. I have been through Tamworth many times both winter and summer (yes it can get HOT). I would have thought that the temperatures were moderate when compared with extreme cold such as in the Northern Hemisphere (Europe, North America etc).

KrisDeagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 3.6L V6
Mine only specifies 10w/30. I will definitely be following the manual from now on...just wondering if I had adversely affected my car by using the wrong oil for so long?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
It won't have hurt it Kris.
Running the correct thinner oil you may find it has a fraction more performance and a fraction better mileage re. fuel use.

KrisDeagle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 3.6L V6
Alright cheers. From now on, I will always check the manual when I get a new car haha.