Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

99 Holden Vs Ute Series 3

chrisglisso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forum and would like to share my new project with you all. The other day I purchased a series 3 VS ute with the below specifications,

Build: 1999 Holden Vs Ute, Series 3 Spac
Engine: 3.8l V6 Engine
Transmission: 4sp Automatic
Kms: 300k

I bought this cheap @ $1000. I have had a number of VS Commodores since getting my license and I seem to be attached to them.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1998 VS Statesman with an L67 Super 6 with a plan to swap the drive train and interior into the ute.

I will try and keep everyone updated and I welcome any suggestions/input.

Cheers Glisso

Attachments

• Snapchat-843815705.jpg
    Snapchat-843815705.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 1,379

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I agree with Deuce. Interior will be awesome once the Statesmen one is fitted. Are you planning on changing the diff housing?? Seems like a lot of work, if you like me have live axle.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, should be great when done, like me can't get away from vr/vs , owned them since 2002. Love the statesman dash.
Doubt he means including the diff. Utes only came out with live axle, so would be a very big job and require modification to under body and engineering to be road worthy . Would be a fascinating and unique job but doubt it's worth doing unless it's absolutely driving you nuts to do it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I admit I never used to be much of a fan of the VR. I used to prefer the look of the VT/VX. But now since acquiring the ute the VR has grown on me. I think the biggest let down on the poverty pack V6 VR ute is the interior. It really is agricultural. A Statesman interior would be the bomb.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Doubt he means including the diff. Utes only came out with live axle, so would be a very big job and require modification to under body and engineering to be road worthy . Would be a fascinating and unique job but doubt it's worth doing unless it's absolutely driving you nuts to do it
i like the live axle. I remember even when the VT came out that the IRS was pretty ordinary if you wanted to tow and i have towed for a lot of years from trailers to caravans. I assume the OP probably has an LSD. I know my pov pack VR has one, even if the cones need shimming or machining. Handling wise i find the live axle fine too. For an old ute the VR corners quite well.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Na , I've always liked them. Remember back when either vs was still new or might have been when vt was out and one of the guys at work had vs s pack ute and I keep thinking how can I justify buying one, which I couldn't and didn't . When I did get my vr in 2002 I did look at a couple of s packs first ( couldn't stretch the budget ). I remember thinking wow (even though vx was out by then) , just seemed special , probably had alot more to do with me getting one and being my first car with A/C and apart from a Lancia Monte Carlo my first non chrome bumper car.
Yeah I think the interior apart from statesman ( that's probably because I haven't owned one of them) is dated now but I'm comfortable in it. Do really like the VT/VX interior.
Yeah don't know about towing but for handling you can tell the VT/VX is better .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't mind the VT interior. My VR interior is ok but i came from driving a Jeep to a basic ute that was 4 years older. The ute interior in mine was just really poorly built. The glove box is clunky, the trim is cheap compared to later model Holden utes and doesnt compare to the Jeep interior. If i had a stato interior that would be prime. I love my ute because it suits my needs very well. Im often needing to tow and cart materials and for that brief it firs very well. I even prefer in some ways having the bench seat because I can take the girls to school or take the wife and still have room for one of the girls. It would be great to have the best of both worlds, eg stato interior and comfort but still fit three in the front.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I don't mind the VT interior. My VR interior is ok but i came from driving a Jeep to a basic ute that was 4 years older. The ute interior in mine was just really poorly built. The glove box is clunky, the trim is cheap compared to later model Holden utes and doesnt compare to the Jeep interior. If i had a stato interior that would be prime. I love my ute because it suits my needs very well. Im often needing to tow and cart materials and for that brief it firs very well. I even prefer in some ways having the bench seat because I can take the girls to school or take the wife and still have room for one of the girls. It would be great to have the best of both worlds, eg stato interior and comfort but still fit three in the front.
They are called crewcabs

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They are called crewcabs

I thought he meant the look of the interior. Isn't a crew cab the one with seats in the back, like a Crewman?

Last edited: