Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Problem with my VP V6 need some advice am i going mad

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Hi I'm going to ramble on a bit here, But i will get as much as i know out and hope that you guys might be able to pick my fault something easy or something worse like I'm thinking.
OK here we go.
Of late my engine to me seems to be getting louder, I just had the tranny serves and ask the mechanic about the harmonic balancer and he said it was fine. But when i first start the car warming it up it makes a slight knocking slapping type sound that wont go away for atleast 2min. Then there are times when i start it up when warm and it knocks for 10sec.
Now something new it did in the last week. I had been out all day around and went to vacuum the car. Started it up gave it a touch of a warm as always and moved towards going on the road. Had to wait 30seconds to get onto the road but did, then booted it to zip in front of traffic when i herd what sounded like holes in the exhaust or the manifolds leaking bad and i mean really bad. Power seem to be fine as normal. Pulled to the side of the road and gave it a couple of revs sounded good, then as i pulled away the same sound was there, It was sounding like a XF Taxi on gas with 900,000km and 30 holes in the exhaust. But power was still there. So i decided to stop and have a look at the new GTS, Took 5 min and got back in the car and the sound was gone completely, But what i have felt in this past week since that is it's got good days and bad days. Some days it feels very strong then others it feels weak, It also seems to have run out of puff in higher revs now. It seems like it's lost some power in the higher revs above 4000rpm. It ghugs a touch till you drive off when starting it hot. but all in all it stills drives great day 2 day it's just it's lost some zip that is easy to notice booting it. Fuel economy is about normal it doesn't stink or blow smoke and i just changed the oil. I'm starting to think the engine is coming to a end slowly it's tired been used to tow a lot and just like the old tranny i think it's getting lazy at times now.
One thing i have a gasket going in the intake could that do it?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
have you checked to see if your exhuast manifold is is tight against the head onboth sides? or if your exhuast gaskets are ok? you can do this by starting the car when its cold and feel for any air coming out from around the exhuast manifold if the exhuast is loose that could be the cause of the noise and why you might be hereing the tappets. The reason it could be an intermitant fault is as the exhuast heats up will expand and when cool contract. Then again your heads might need overhauling to. but by the sound of it all i think your oil pump is cactus it sounds like your engine is starveing for oil especially up top better get it checked other wise you could be up for another motor. One way i know you can do this at home is when the car is first starting up remove the oil cap carefully put a stick in the head DONT TOUCH THE TAPPETS just sit it on the bottom of the head then pull it out and check if there is any oil on it there shouldnt be alot of oil but enough to keep things running smoth sometimes you dont have to do that if you have a torch then shine it down the oil hole and look at the rockers and see if they are pumping oil at one end also you can get a long screw driver and put it upto the head then the handle end up to your ear and move it along the head this will tell you wich tappets are in the worse nick by listening how loud the sound is hope this helps cheers

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Actually you aren't the first person who has mentioned the oil pump. I think i am lucky with it because i like to sit even when it's warm every-time i got to drive I'm one who likes to let things build up before i take off not just start drive.
The Exhaust I'll back that with my life it's tight as a fish's rear the guys that did it are great. I also had my manifold changed about 12 months ago but I'll give the cold start finger test a go and the oil test.
I'm worried a touch it's over 300,000km now and i lost the tranny 8 months ago so i was thinking it's next:(.
Today when i went out i got to some red lights and though I'll boot it and see what happens. Very flat on take off till 2500rpm which brought a large amount of power out of nowhere and then top end again it went wondering?. It's been over the past 4 weeks ticking a touch just very small but i have herd it. If the head or heads are toast or even the oil pump and i know the intake manifold is leaking a touch i might be better off getting this engine i have seen fitted for $1000 it was rebuilt in June 04 think thats a good price?.
And thanks for all the help to.

How this if my luck couldn't get any worse:) My mum left 10 min ago in my car and i had to call her to be careful of the radiator water it's leaking:bang: It's one of them radiators that leaks for 2 days and then doesnt for 7 months:yeah:

H

HATER VP

What compression has it got? Also what grade oil is in there?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Not sure what compression. But i run Castrol GTX-2.
Also asked my mum how the car ran today. She said it runs real good but a truck came into a lane in front of her and was slow, Everyone was moving around the truck and we don't sit behind them with the crack in the screen, So she gave it some foot and said to me it was very sluggish moving then a big boost of power came from nowhere.

I also went out and stuck the torch in the oil cap to look in the motor, What am i supposed to be seeing as i couldn't see any oil jumping around?.

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
u should try and find out where the sound is actually coming from to scratch some possibilities to a few....then take it from there.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
u should try and find out where the sound is actually coming from to scratch some possibilities to a few....then take it from there.
All i know is it's in the engine and only stay for 2min when warming up first things in the morning, Then when starting it through the day maybe 5-10 seconds then it's normal sounding again.

stuffed cat
New Cat:).

Yesterday when i was out i pulled out of a car park and floored it no wheel spin. I got to a corner facing straight full lock and floored it again no wheel spin. It's flat on take off. Then doing about 55 the lights go Amber i thought go for it see what happens dropped back to 2nd gear and flew off. Mid range power seems fine. It's lazy down low which isn't these cars. And runs out of puff above 4000. Which it hasn't ever done before.

C

chauvie05

hi fellow holden people. I need some help please..... we have a vp commodore excutive that was involved in an accident and we are now wrecking it as there is still a lot of good parts, but we dont know what any of the parts are worth. If anyone could please advise me on prices for seats, all electrical parts, motor and a five speed manual gearbox, tail lights and the the piece in the middle of the boot, 3 inch exhaust which is basically brand new, mag wheels and tyres-2 tyres are also brand new, 2 doors on the passenger side, boot lid etc.it will be greatly apreciated thanks from chauvie05:)