Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS module

D

Devil_CPJ

I had all the symptoms of a faulty module.....

Pulled the ABS connector and cleaned it with WD put it back and no problem...

Suggest trying that before replacing a $650 module....

CPJ

J

jond

Hi, I just had the same problem. The abs connector pins are silver plated. If you look closely, you'll see the that there is some light corrosion on the pins. (look for the difference in the scratch marks where the connector pins have slid off).

Try using a 'connector cleaning spray' available from Dick Smith or any other electriconics store. (Don't use an oil based spray, becuase this will lead to more long team electrical problems.)

I didn't have a spray available but used 1200 grit wet and dry. I very, very lightly rubbed the pins to remove the oxidization.

Also, before you start, remove the battery negative wire and wait a few minutes. This will minimise any chances of the airbags going off. (as per the normal proceedure when working on the electrics of any car these days)

good luck.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
well on Robs advice i did the test of taking the connector off & the oil light went out.
so i picked up a module from the wreckers with a 7 month warranty for $350 & fitted that.
everything is working good now

thanks for your help Rob much appreciated & probably saved me quite a bit of money. :thumbsup:

one thing that might be worth noting is the module is apparently different for those cars with traction control & those without.
as mine has traction control i had a hell of a time finding a secondhand module to suit.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
i just replaced the module on the front of the abs pump
didn't undo any brake lines so no need to bleed brakes
did find taking the battery out made it easier to get to the screws :)

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
the one i got from the wreckers came complete but i just removed the electrical part & swapped them over
much easier than bleeding the brakes

worked a treat

S

smith_email

Jerzey1234555,

Are you able to tell me where you sourced the ABS module, the one with traction control? Mine is giving the me the same grief that yours was. Thinking of replacing it myself if I can get one in the next week or two ..

smith_email