Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ac recharge kit

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
i would like to recharge my car ac. i found some DIY videos on youtube. they used some " EZ CHILL" refrigerant can. anyone got any idea where can i find those kinda stuff in melbourne? or any idea how do i recharge my ac with refrigerant? want to regas my car before summer. :D any help will be appreciated.

N.B. my car is 93 vr commodore.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Only use R134a refrigerant. Also, why don't you just get it done professionally, it only costs about $80-$100 for an Air Con service/regas.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think you'll find that it's illegal to do this sort of thing in Australia - back 30 years ago you could buy pressure packs of R12 in Kmart with a hose connected to recharge your system but nowdays anything to do with regassing airconditioners must be done by a licensed person. If your car needs regassing it will need to have the cause of the leak fixed first.
I've heard that it's possible to use propane/butane as a refrigerant but that's also illegal.

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
oh i didnt know that. thats the reason i didnt find that in any shop. thanks both of you for the info :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
only illegal in qld, hychill is what it's called in aus, as above you need to find the reason it's leaked out first and fix that or it's going to be pointless refilling it.

The cans cost about $30 each and then you need the proprietry connector to suit the can, hoses, manifold and possibly oil, you'll need to evacuate all traces of air from the system (if not then the moisture will ice up in the system and cause a blokage), unless you plan on doing multiple vehicles it's going to be cheaper to get it done by an ac service centre.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just because an A/C system has lost its gas, does not mean that theres going to be a major leak in the A/C system. These A/C systems never seal up 100%, and they slowly leak their gas out over time, this is why its considered normal for these cars to need periodic regassing every couple of years or so to keep the A/C working at its best.. Even the workshop manuals say that its normal for these A/C systems to need periodic regassing..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Here is a good link discussing whether it's illegal or what. I think Jxw sums it up when he says if only doing one unit go to an A/C service centre.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1556879
By the way, my '97 VS has never been recharged and still blows cold which is probably due more to good luck than good management.

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
Okayy. I need to regas two cars.one is leaked from the condenser while i was drilling the chasis.thinking of using jb weld for the hole on the condenser. In another one when replacing motor all gas ran out. So where exactly i can find that chill thing?? I wanted to do it for myself for experience. Thanks guys for comments

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
Lol i just read the discussions from the link. Better not do it by myself. I have seen on youtube few videos none of them said its that dangerous. People from usa are very careless i guess. Thanks hako for the link